City of Lebanon: 4 to 2 "opting out" - HCP holders denied.

I was at the Lebanon City Council meeting tonight.

There were a total of three citizens who addressed the council supporting carry permit holders rights and three opposed. I knew the council had already made up their minds but I wanted to go on record. This was my very first public speech.

To sum up, I noted that this law was not about guns, but all of us carry permit holders. My question to the council wasn't about rights, splitting hairs on the law, etc., it was about trusting permit holders. Why, as of 9/1/09, would we be more of a threat than the thugs that carry anyway?

During the council meeting, you could tell that some of the council members just did not understand what they were voting on. At that point, we lost.

The debate was civil. No yelling, some clapping, but no fireworks.

After the meeting, only one person from the audience thanked me for standing up. You put yourself out there, you then become fodder for water cooler talk.

Anyway, I missed the TFA meeting in Nashville because I wanted to attend to speak out at the city council meeting.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 3pugguy
I was at the Lebanon City Council meeting tonight.

There were a total of three citizens who addressed the council supporting carry permit holders rights and three opposed. I knew the council had already made up their minds but I wanted to go on record. This was my very first public speech.

To sum up, I noted that this law was not about guns, but all of us carry permit holders. My question to the council wasn't about rights, splitting hairs on the law, etc., it was about trusting permit holders. Why, as of 9/1/09, would we be more of a threat than the thugs that carry anyway?

During the council meeting, you could tell that some of the council members just did not understand what they were voting on. At that point, we lost.

The debate was civil. No yelling, some clapping, but no fireworks.

After the meeting, only one person from the audience thanked me for standing up. You put yourself out there, you then become fodder for water cooler talk.

Anyway, I missed the TFA meeting in Nashville because I wanted to attend to speak out at the city council meeting.

My hat is off to you for taking the time to go and speak and for your note that it was kept civil and polite. Regardless of the negative outcome, your actions speak volumes about how the the majority of HCP holders and gun owners in general are, that is, we are concerned, law abiding citizens exercising our rights. Your civil actions and interest in providing your viewpoint negates the belief so often touted by anti-anything gun crowd - that we are a group of wild eyed, shoot 'em up crazies.

Thank you for sharing the story and sorry the outcome was negative. But for what it's worth, I offer big kudos to you for Good Citizenship and being a great representative of gun owners in general!!!!

Edited by 3pugguy

Champ, I was there until they started talking about funding the elderly stuff.

I didn't know that we would able to address them. I thought there would be no outside influences allowed in the meeting. It must have been after I left.

Had I known that I would have definitely given them an earful.

I have never attended a commission meeting before and didn't know the workings.

Dadgummit!!!!!

On the plus side,

I was VERY happy to see them start with a prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance!

I got something in my eye when the school choir sang. It was beautiful!!

It was comforting to know that I was in the good company of so many domestic terrorists!:bowrofl:

I was not at the County Commission meeting on Monday. The City Council met Tuesday night at 6pm. Citizen comments were from 6pm-7pm. My comments were video taped. I'm sure it will come back on me one day in the future. It was actually quite civil. I'm working with one of the City Council members to propose some loosenings of the total ban.

Right now, the City of Lebanon considers anything they own that is public where folks can congregate and enjoy are exempt from the state carry laws. That includes parks, greenways, ball fields, health club facility, sidewalks, property owned by the city that the public can visit like cemetaries, etc.

The council claims that the state law gives them no guidance on breaking up the public areas to restrict this area and open another area. It is an excuse for a total gun ban.

One of the councilman admitted that the schools were putting him under pressure threatening to never bring their kids to the city park anymore. Somewhat unfounded fear, but hey, that's the way politicians work.

Some of our County Commissioners have used children as human shields to pass huge, multiple property tax increases for schools. I'm not surprised that some of the City Council members played "the children" card as an excuse for a total ban. Every item on their agenda required facts, accountability, investigation, except for this ordinance. Apparently, the kids are more in danger at city parks when carry permit holders are around vs. them being at Walmart parking lots, Kroger, or the Opry Mills mall. :rolleyes:

So to sum up:

Wilson County properties :P- HCP holders can carry at all county owned properties, including Corp of Engineers leased boat ramps and fairgrounds.

Lebanon City - :down:They opted out, so as of 9/1/09, no change, HCP holders are prevented from carrying in any public City owned property.

Major bummer - not well advertised either - sadly I was out of town and couldn't make it.

Good news - Councilperson Cathy Warmath and William Farmer both voted no on the ban. They are to be commended - the rest.....welll, next election they will have to face their anti-2nd amendment record.

Where was the NRA on notifying folks about this meeting - very dissapointing that they missed it - the Mt. Juliet meeting they sent out postcards and got a good turnout.

Guest 3pugguy

I think the answer is obvious - BAN CHILDREN FROM PARKS! I don't have any (except for the four legged, furry kind), so I can get behind something like this (especially when my property tax keeps going up for new schools in Montgomery County). And before all you Dads get wound up, just kiddin' (well, maybe a little serious). :blush:

I was at the commission meeting. I didn't know anything about the city council meeting.

If I did I would have been there also.

Good on you for having done what you did!