Hunting on differen types of feeders/mineral licks.

Guest walkingdeadman

Guest walkingdeadman

Ok, so I know there are laws that you can absolutely not hunt on feeders and that's fine. But I am wondering, does this also apply to salt/mineral blocks? I have about 3 or 4 blocks on my property, and a couple bags of Bag R Buck on my land (which they love). I am just curious. I am pretty sure that it's not legal either, but I would like to know just in case Deputy Doowhop Dingleberry from the TWRA walks up on in the woods. Thanks, Roy....Hope this is not a dumb question!:rolleyes:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster

No, staying out of jail is smart, imo.

Basically if what you are doing is "normal agricultural practice" and its obvious that it is, there shouldn't be a problem. If your putting the stuff out to get deer in there then you are baiting. So staking out a salt block that is there for cattle is legal. Putting out salt blocks to lure deer in is illegal. It boils down to a judgement call of the enforcement officer.

Guest billwilly73

I was under the impression that "bait" has to have a food source in it such as corn, grain, apple, ect. and that minerals were not "bait" since they have no food in them.

Might have to call TWRA to make sure.

Guest clsutton21
I was under the impression that "bait" has to have a food source in it such as corn, grain, apple, ect. and that minerals were not "bait" since they have no food in them.

Might have to call TWRA to make sure.

Well if he's asking if it's legal to leave out there for deer, then it's obvious he's trying to attract them. Seems like that would be baiting to me.

Guest H0TSH0T

you can put out scents i like to use buck jam and pour it on a stump where i will put my stand, i will normally do this when i scout so it is gone before actual season opens but it will still imprint a pattern for the deer to visit for weeks after.

Well if he's asking if it's legal to leave out there for deer, then it's obvious he's trying to attract them. Seems like that would be baiting to me.

Salt Licks, salt blocks, mineral blocks, c'mere deer, deer 'cane and other popular mineral supplements are legal to hunt over in Tennessee.

The safest thing to do when you are a question about a particular brand of deer attractant is to call your local game warden. Not the main office, but your local game warden. Ask his opinion on that brand of supplement.

My local game warden tells people that generally you can consider it legal if the bag or jug lists the product as a mineral supplement. Another thing he says is if it melts down into the dirt, usually it is ok.

Corn, Apples, sweet feed and such poured into a pile in the woods is not legal to hunt over unless the area had the bait removed 10 days prior.

Usually this is well explained in the sates hunter safety program. If you have not attended one, you should. If they don't bring it up, ask them.

Here is the law:

70-4-113. Use of bait, pitfalls and certain other devices in taking birds and animals prohibited — Penalty — Exceptions. —

(a) It is unlawful for any person at any time to make use of any pitfall, deadfall, cage, snare, trap, net, baited hooks, poison, chemicals, explosives, set guns, spotlights, electric lights or torches, bait, which includes any grain, or mixture of any ingredients, used as or for food purposes, or other devices for the purpose of killing, injuring, or capturing any birds or animals protected by the wildlife laws of this state, except as otherwise expressly provided.

Edited by whiskey
Guest redbarron06

I had a reather lengthy conversation with TWRA on this subject a couple of years ago. Basilcy look at the ingreadents. If it contails any type of grain or food items then it is considered bait. it also depends on the form. For example C'mere in the liquid form is ok because it soaks into the ground and the dere lick the ground for the minerals but the powder form is not ok because it contains corn and the deer actually eat the powder. From what they said basicly anything that soaks into the ground is ok. this would also apply to mineral blocks as they actually soak into the ground around them and that is what attract the deer.

I asked them specificly about C'mere deer and Bag-r-buck. Out of the stuff I have tried the bag-r-buck is one of the best. It is also the most cost efficent as one 5 lb bag runs about $20 and lasts a full year depending on the rain fall.

ETA:

I also asked them about active feeders during the season. It is of course up to the officer but because there is no rule as far as how far you have to be from the feeder in his judgement if you are trying to intercept the deer on the way to the feeder you can be charged. I would not try this on a small piece of property but for example of you have 300 acres of timber and you are hunting one side with the feeder on the other you should be OK.

Edited by redbarron06