Skunk Problem

Guest m4coyote

Guest m4coyote

We have had a skunk hanging around our weekend cabin lately. Last Friday night, we were awakened by a very pungent skunk odor. Our windows were not open, but the smell was very strong. I grabbed the Saiga 12 and went outside, but found no skunk. The odor was only around our house, and it disappeared about two hours later.

This is the second time in two week ends that this has happened, and I am becoming tired of it.

I have never shot a skunk before, so what 12 ga. shot size would be appropriate at 30 to 40 feet? I have a Poly Choke II on my Saiga, so choking it to "full" is no problem.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest clsutton21

To tell the truth: I usually just walk around with my pump 20 with 7.5 shot in it. I can get a flashlight and get within 15 feet of them...BAM. I've never had a problem with being sprayed or anything. The worst problem I had is the dog getting into it after it's dead.

Guest Tusculum

#4High Powered-12Ga-full or extra full! Head shot-Definetly a head shot, He will not know what hit him therefore wont release the bag contents. Ive killed many here. Unless your an awsome shot, DO NOT! Use a rifle. He and his family have set up housekeeping under your cabin. Look around and you can see where they have dug them an entrance. Get a few boxes of moth balls and sprinkle around the cabin. You can also mix up some strong ammonia water solution and put in a sprayer and they will move out Immediately! They cant stand that smell. No pet food or water outside on the ground. If they aint got a food source they will move on. Thanks, Jack

Guest mustangdave

When I lived in Military Housing in San Diego...we could set our clocks by the skunk odor...we had a "family" burrowed in under our duplex unit...we did the ammonia trick...worked like a charm. You definately don't wanna play "Tunnel Rat" and "go in" after em...YOU WILL GET GASSED

Guest logicprevails

Maybe I'm just weird, but driving down the road and smelling a polecat has always been a pleasant smell to me since childhood. Don't like 'em up close, though.

Edit: Totally left this thought out my tangent, but I would use just about any 4 - 8 shot in a full choked 12; or I've dispatched a good bit with a .22. Sometimes you get the smell, sometimes you don't.

Edited by logicprevails
omission.
Maybe I'm just weird, but driving down the road and smelling a polecat has always been a pleasant smell to me since childhood. Don't like 'em up close, though.

Don't feel bad. Although not to your extreme, some funky scents seem kinda pleasant to me, in a strange way.

My grandfathers basement was a perfect example. The scent of mildew in his basement was actually pleasant to me. Now, everytime I get a good wiff of mildew, it takes me back to my grandfathers basement.

So, you're not alone.:death:

For skunk control i think a .22lr will be a fine solution. At least you don't have wasp problems. I went home from school this past weekend and discovered that a few colonies of wasp, yellow jackets in particular, have invaded my storage house backyard. I went into the shed without any problems, but on the way out, i was attacked by a swarm of them. What was interesting was that they specifically targeted the back of my neck. I have a huge rash from getting stung there. Luckily, i am not allergic to wasp stings. I was extremely :mad: afterward and went back inside the shed armed with a bottle of WD-40 and gave those little bastard hell :bs:.

These are all good suggestions that I am going to keep in the unfortunate event I might need them in the future.

I am now going to ask a stupid question. If the thing and/or it's family is under your house how can you go into the crawl space and place either moth balls or ammonia water without, as mustangdave said, playing "Tunnel Rat" and getting gassed in the process?

Guest mustangdave

Ok...lets see...skunks are for the most part nocturnal...they'll be "snoozing" during the day time (you hope)... they won't be camping out just inside your crawl space...they will usually burrow underground...plan...watch em for a couple nights...see where they come IN and OUT....the set up your mothball claymores...and the ammonia bomb...for the ammonia...try and find some "anhydrious" ammonia...very strong concentrated commercial stuff...I watched it knock out a drug sniffing beagle when I was in the Navy. Poor little guy, I warned the dog handler that there was ammonia in a "drip pan" by my blueprint machine on the floor....he cut the dog loose...and it BEE Lined right for it. The dog handler thought he had a DRUG HIT...poor beagle got a nose FULL.

Guest Traumaslave

:bs: Me too.