Bartlett City Council Attempting To Opt Out Of New Park Carry Law

Guest HVAC Worker

Guest HVAC Worker

Tonight at 7:00pm,the City Alderman will meet to consider the anti gun ordiance at Bartlett City Hall,which is located at 6400 Stage Rd.If this ordiance is passed it would strip gunowners the right to carry in the parks.I for one plan on being there to voice my opposition to this.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be there as well. I have received a response from Alderman Barzano that he intends to vote "No" to the proposed ordinance. Alderman Parsons would not commit to voting no. He said he wanted to hear what the citizens of Bartlett wanted. Mayor McDonald and I have been going back and forth on it. It is very important that those of us that do not want this to pass be there tonight and make a good showing.

The meeting Tuesday night went really well. Those against the ban outnumbered those for the ban by a wide margin, like 4 to 1. I think the board realized that people do not want the ban. The board decided to have a meeting/work group on the issue on Oct. 13th. The meeting will not be open for public comment. My understanding of what Mayor McDonald said is that after the work group the full board would vote on it. Please continue to contact the board and mayor in support and urge others you know that live in Bartlett to do the same.

The main concern brought up by those for the ban was the usual guns around kids and guns at sporting events. Each of these is easily countered. Guns are already around kids in places like McDonald's, Target, Wal-Mart, ice cream shops, etc. The AG's opinion that the state ban prohibiting carry at school events still applies to school sporting events at parks all but completely eliminates the sporting event issue. While I do not agree with that restriction, as people have the right to defend themselves anywhere, the opinion does in fact mean that HCP holders cannot legally carry at a school sporting event even if the city decides not to ban in parks. Keep up the fight.

• 2 weeks later...
Board vote scheduled for Oct. 27

By Clay Bailey (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Bartlett's vote on whether to allow permit holders to carry guns in the city's parks is still weeks away.

But at least one alderman thinks he knows where the controversial issue is headed.

Alderman Jack Young said Wednesday he expects the Board of Mayor and Aldermen to approve the idea, based primarily on the overwhelming contact from people who support allowing the weapons.

"In 11 years on the board, I've had more communication on this issue than anything," Young said. "It's amazing to me the level and degree of people wanting to get their point across on this issue."

The General Assembly passed a law earlier this year allowing permit holders to carry their guns in parks. But legislators included a section for local governments to opt out of the legislation, thus banning the guns if they passed a resolution.

Bartlett is one of several local governments that has not reached a decision on the matter. The cities of Germantown and Memphis, along with Shelby County, banned the guns. Collierville remained under the state legislation, allowing weapons.

A sampling of Bartlett aldermen Wednesday indicated most are still weighing the comments, e-mails, options and personal feelings on the matter. Most wouldn't say which way they are leaning.

"I'm not going there," said Alderman Emily Elliott, noting the board has an Oct. 13 work session scheduled. She later said: "I don't know what any other alderman is planning to bring up, whether there is any compromise or what's in the back of their mind."

Alderman David Parsons has talked with City Atty. Ed McKenney about options the board can consider, such as if the weapons must be concealed or whether the city can limit parks where the guns are carried.

The vote on the resolution is slated for Oct. 27.

At a Sept. 22 public hearing, there was an overwhelming number of gun supporters present. That is an aspect swaying Young, who opposes the idea.

Most of the people he has heard from on the issue favor allowing the guns. Young said he still thinks guns in parks are unnecessary, calling the idea "ridiculous." But he also knows that those favoring the weapons are leaning on their constitutional rights to carry them, especially with a permit, and they are the most vocal.

Elliott, on the other hand, said that by a slight majority, people who approached her oppose guns in the parks. And those are her Bartlett constituents. She has deleted communiques from people outside the suburb.

"I don't represent people in Nashville, Germantown or Memphis," Elliott said. "At this point, I still have more against guns in the park than I do for. And a fair amount of people against guns in parks have permits."

Printed in the Commercial Appeal Oct 1, reprinted in The Tennessean Oct 3.

Is it just me or has Tennessee managed to create the biggest Charlie Foxtrot with this law and its "opt out" section?

Hell as a cop I honestly don't know what parks where allow or not allow guns, I ain't gonna risk an arrest absent any other cause for this simple fact.

Way to go Tennessee....

• 3 weeks later...

Just heard that the called for vote regarding the "Opt Out" Resolution did NOT receive a second, and therefore died. Bartlett stayed the course, and it is still legal for HCP Holders to carry their weapons in the Parks controlled by Bartlett, as intended by the State Legislature.

Guest dalefranklin

I am in the thought process of making a run for Emily Elliott alderman seat. She has really rubbed me the wrong way and it appears most if not all of the HCP holders. She is up for re-election Nov. 2010 and has held the seat for almost ten year and has run unopposed every year. I have lived in Bartlett for 27 years and have seen alot of changes, the good outweigh the bad, but there needs to be some youth on the board to represent the Bartlett citizens under the age of 60. I will be 41 next month and I have had enough of Elliott trying to surcomvent my 2nd ammendment right. I would love to hear any thoughts on this.

Dale Franklin

Tell me more about your political leaning. I am 36 and have been considering running myself, but don't really want to get into politics. I do know that Elliott needs to be replaced by someone who actually thinks instead of reacting to emotion.