Dillon 650 Large Primer issue

Called Dillon but they really didn't offer any worthwhile advice. I have a 650 that has given me no problems with small primers. However I am now loading 45s and the large primers are giving me problems. For some reason about 1 out of 10ish primers are flipping sideways in the primer/charging station. Obviously that is causing the primer to load sideways. Anyone else run into this problem? I am using wolf primers for now.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Called Dillon but they really didn't offer any worthwhile advice. I have a 650 that has given me no problems with small primers. However I am now loading 45s and the large primers are giving me problems. For some reason about 1 out of 10ish primers are flipping sideways in the primer/charging station. Obviously that is causing the primer to load sideways. Anyone else run into this problem? I am using wolf primers for now.
not sure about the Dillon, but had the same problem with a Hornady LNL AP. found that a nice brass dowel going down the primer tube, sitting on the primer stack kept things moving smoothly.

Have had the same problem with my dillon. TNTitan's advice (in the quote above) fixed some of it with the brass rod trick; also try to keep the primer magazine pretty full -- that helps too.

The other thing is the adjustment of the shell plate (see the picture below). Carefully read the instructions on tightening up the shell plate and then tighten it up a little bit more. Make sure the shell plate is just barely tight enough to index freely with no additional play that allows the plate to rock. I think what happens is that the shell plate rocks a little bit when the machine indexes and flips the primers occasionally,

Here's the picture:

650_shell_plate_t.jpg

I picked this up from the dillon instruction manual:

4. Using a 1/4†Allen wrench run the

shellplate bolt down until it stops then

loosen it slightly. Loosen it just enough

to allow the shellplate to index freely.

As i remember, make sure it is just barely loose enough to index.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

LEROY

Guest tnvolfan

I just loaded 200 45acps on a Dillon 550B using CCI large primers. Fortunately, I did not have any problems. When I changed from a small to a large primer setup, I did clean and lube everything real well so that the motion of travel was very smooth. And just a guess -- could those Wolf primers have any magnetic properties in them? Take a kitchen magnet over them and see if any pick up. I checked out some CCI, Federal, PMC, and MagTech primers that I have. None of them have any magnetic properties, but who knows? There's a first time for everything.

Loaded about 300 or so today. Think I figured it out. The edge of the shell plate was catching the primer and turning it. I loosened the shell plate bolt up a tad more and it seemed to index better and the last 200ish I only had 1 go in sideways on me. Maybe that was all it needed.

Looks like Leroy had it figured out! Way to go there, Leroy!

Thanks for the kind words tnvolfan. Glad the problem is solved. I always have to learn everything the hard way. The adjustment needs to be just like baby bear's porrage: "Just right".

Kind regards,

LEROY