I've got 15 acres to hunt.. where to start?

The barn is going to be very nice for hunting the fields, but (as mentioned many times before) you need to figure out their movement patterns.

Hunting fields can be good, but hunting the trails they move along from bedding to feeding to rubs to.... is far better.

Yea - I'm trying to get some data on their movement. The trails run along the treeline pretty good and the bedding seems to be in the high grass on the field.

cammap.jpg

The deer and yote pic was taken with the camera in the yellow position. I moved the camera to the red position because I want to see what kind of traffic is going through that cut-through between the fields. There is running water there so I bet its a good bit of traffic. The best part is this cut-through is only 75 yards from the barn area.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice plot! Looks like you have a great start to a good hunting spot. If you feed them they will come! As sharpshooter01 mentioned watch the wind. Great advice in a small plot. Sometimes if it's blowing in the wrong direction you may want to back out until it's right. The prevailing wind direction may have influence on stand placement too.

Good luck and we want pictures of your harvest!:lol:

Guest JHatmaker

Did you just recently purchase this land? If you ever need a hunting buddy, let me know. I've been wanting to get into it. Only hunted a couple of times in Alabama when in college.

its family land.. owned it for many years, just never really got around to hunting it till this year. Funny you mention Alabama.. last time I went deer hunting was at the in-laws land near Montgomery! They say its pretty Good hunting down there.

Guest Muttling

The deer and yote pic was taken with the camera in the yellow position. I moved the camera to the red position because I want to see what kind of traffic is going through that cut-through between the fields. There is running water there so I bet its a good bit of traffic. The best part is this cut-through is only 75 yards from the barn area.

Sweet!!!!!!!!

I would keep the camera on the cut through and start putting some salt licks in the best shooting spot.

The does and youngsters will bed in the fields, not the older bucks. The bucks that know how to stay alive will be bedding in heavy thickets. If they don't know that, they're already on somebody's grill.

The bucks will come to the edges of the field looking for a snack and following the does.

It sounds like you have a really sweet traffic area with great spot to shoot from. That barn will have a LOT of smell to it and should mask anything except a gallon of Old Spice cologne. Clear some good shooting lanes, set your camera, and put out some licks.

If you can't make it on a particular day, give me a shout.....I'll fill in. :rolleyes:

Well - went down to the land to check on things.. and I had a little visitor come to say hello. She walked almost right up to me.. looked right at me and kept eating.. eventually meandered off to the creek. No big deal. I'll take this as a good sign, right? :stunned:

nov7deer3.th.jpg nov7deer2.th.jpg nov7deer.th.jpg

Edited by TNTitan

Update.. well I checked on the RED station today to see if I had any traffic.. all I can say is - wow! Its like deer city! I'm very excited and feeling very confident that there will be something for me and Dad to shoot at when gun season starts. I really hope I get to see the buck in the 9th pick again! What is he.. about 3-4 years old? Enjoy the pics!

(The date is wrong on the pics.. its 1 day ahead)

dsc0007pb.th.jpg dsc0007vs.th.jpg dsc0014u.th.jpg dsc0023gb.th.jpg dsc0024s.th.jpg dsc0026yf.th.jpg dsc0027l.th.jpg dsc0028zg.th.jpg dsc0029u.th.jpg dsc0030qr.th.jpg dsc0032w.th.jpg dsc0033b.th.jpg dsc0034tc.th.jpg dsc0036i.th.jpg

Guest Muttling

Nice hunting spot!!!!!

It's hard to tell age from a picture. The buck is obviously mature, but he could be 2 or 3. He could also be older. Rack and body are determined by genetics/ diet.

If you bag him, here's a pretty reliable way to age him based on his teeth.

How to Age a Whitetail Deer

I think I would put a blind where the camera is..

great spot of land you have!

That's kinda what we did. Dad constructed the most amazing portable hunting blind from PVC and weatherproof vinyl. Its got closeable shooting windows and offers nearly 360º of vantage point. We put it up near the barn.. about 20ft in the air with a great look at the location where the camera had shown the deer traffic as well

Dad and I just had a great time in there over the weekend watching the deer come through. I didnt get any shots in on Saturday, but dad got one on Sunday and donated it to Hunters for the Hungry. Being out in the woods, bagging a deer, and helping hungry families = WIN! :blink:

Cant wait to go back out there and get one for myself. Enjoy the pics.

Here is the blind in place

blindb.jpg

Looking out toward the camera point. (the truck tracks lead right to it) Lots of deer coming out of that point into the field.

shoot1k.jpg

We can see out to about 200 yards in each direction

shoot2.jpg

Looking out to the South.. saw a nice buck courting a doe.

youngbuck.jpg

Me and Dad staying warm after sunup.

meanddad.jpg

Congrats Dad! Thats some good eatin. kill1.jpg

That blind is awesome! :drool: Is the base made out of pvc? About how heavy is it? And how do you get in it? Ladder? or did you build one into it?

the frame is PVC.. probably weighs 50lbs or so.. the base is plywood. yea.. its pretty high up there. Ladder is the way in. :drool: