Puzzled by issues with the CompTac MTAC holster...

So I purchased a Minotaur MTAC IWB holster from CompTac about a month ago. I found that attaching the two plastic/kydex like clips using the bottom hole allow the gun to sit lower and is more comfortable. Downside... I am now getting a crack on one of the plastic/kydex like clips on the bottom. I know it has to be because of the bending forces on the bottom of the belt clip whenever I sit down.

I can't figure out whether I should get a new clip under warranty or just return the thing and get my money back because I am afraid that it'll do it again.

You guys who have used these before...what do you think I oughta do?Return it or give it another try with new clips under warranty? If I return it I prolly will buy the Crossbreed Supertuck and give it a try at least it has metal clips.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU

I haven't had that issue...yet. I've been looking at the Crossbreed and whatever that holster (Bullard ?) that Oh Shoot has. Its very nice, all leather holster. Metal clips as well.

GoVols:

This is the first instance that I can recall hearing of one of the current Comp-Tac clips cracking. Is the cracking occurring at the very tip of the clip or along the side of the clip?

I would suggest two things. One is to get the replacement clip under their warranty. Two - is it possible that you can move the particular clip that is cracked up one hole and still have the same comfort/access to your gun? It might be enough to take the pressure off the new clip and keep it from doing the same thing. Another thought might be to grind down the tip of the clip, where the cracking occurred, as this might take the pressure off as well.

• Administrator

The new clips aren't kydex and won't crack. I've bent the living hell out of them and no damage. If you've got kydex clips and you just purchased it direct from Comp-Tac within the past two months, someone down there screwed up and sent you old product.

GoVols:

This is the first instance that I can recall hearing of one of the current Comp-Tac clips cracking. Is the cracking occurring at the very tip of the clip or along the side of the clip?

I would suggest two things. One is to get the replacement clip under their warranty. Two - is it possible that you can move the particular clip that is cracked up one hole and still have the same comfort/access to your gun? It might be enough to take the pressure off the new clip and keep it from doing the same thing. Another thought might be to grind down the tip of the clip, where the cracking occurred, as this might take the pressure off as well.

Yep it's cracking slightly at the very end of one of the clips. Yeah I called them and they can send replacements free b/c of warranty. I just hope it doesn't happen again.

The new clips aren't kydex and won't crack. I've bent the living hell out of them and no damage. If you've got kydex clips and you just purchased it direct from Comp-Tac within the past two months, someone down there screwed up and sent you old product.

Well I purchased it direct at beginning of September. You know I just checked and while the website say kydex on the MTAC product details page, the actual page for re-ordering the standard clips say they are some new polymer design. So I do have the new clips that I guess are not kydex but some other polymer stuff.

Edited by GoVols
two quotes

Let's see some pics. I'm considering this rig for my xd9sc but have not been able to find any pics using the xd sub-compact.

I wonder how the Crossbreed metal clips would fit on the mtac? I, personally, would rather have a wider metal clip.