Newbie to IWB Questions

I have had my permit for about three or four months now and only have carried in the console of a vehicle as of now. I have the capability of OWB with some holsters that I already have and like but not really felt comfortable with OWB to actually carry everyday :tinfoil: . Sooooooooo..........I have been thinking about IWB a little and want to get some "educated" information.

First, it seems to me that I would have to go and buy all new pants a size or two larger in the waistband to allow for the IWB setup. Is that so?

Second, I have two possibilities for CC guns right now, an older Bersa 383, which I have found not that accurate, or a Colt 1991A1 Series 80, which is pretty accurate, if I say so myself :P. I would prefer the Colt right now due to the accuracy issue and the Colt fits my hand alot better. BUT, is that too big for IWB CC?

Third, I have been thinking of looking for a smaller Colt like the Defender. Would that be better fit wise than the full size 1991?

Fourth, I know holsters are more of a personal fit and comfort thing but, who makes a good, comfortable IWB holster for the guns listed above?

I'll stop here for now, sorry for the rambling above, trying not to be a :P :P

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care how "comfortable" IWB holsters are, they are not as comfortable as OWB or no holster. You do get "use" to them and they are comfortable and don't bother you, or at least that has been my experience.

With that said, here we go:

Pants size for IWB, will need to be a size or two bigger. I wore a 34, which was a little lose, tight fit, I have lost weight, down to about a 32 in some, but mostly a 33. Not sure if I could wear a 32 comfortably with a IWB rig. 33 for sure. So if you have a little room, you might be ok.

Gun size. There again, depends on your comfort. I carry an XD Service model 40 cal. They have a 4" barrel. It's a full size gun. I, 165lbs, 5'9", carry it fine. Some things to keep in mind. Many, or most self defense situations, are close, in other words, accuracy is not that important when the bg is a few feet away. Carry what YOU are comfortable with and have trust in. If it (gun) is uncomfortable or you don't trust it, or you don't like it, you might not carry it all of the time. It will do you no good if it is somewhere else and not with you. So if nice steel, heavy 1911, starts sagging down and driving you crazy after a few hours of wear, then it might not be the best carry option.

Gun Belt. Get one, they are worth their weight in gold. They can be found in many gun shops or online. Beltman.net seems to be a good source, my next one will come from him due to comments from guys on here.

Holsters....there are leather, there are Kydex (plastic type material), there are hybrids. I wear the CTAC (Kydex) from Comp-tac.com. If I had to buy a new one today, I would go with the MTAC (Kydex and Leather hybrid of sorts), suppose to be even more comfortable than the CTAC. It is stable, it is adjustable, it is tuckable. There are other options as well from other manufactures that are all leather too.

Here are pics of mine. I sit most days in an office chair. On days I am not, I am out in the field, in my Jeep for hours at a time. I wear it from the start of the day until I get home...every day.

Pictures2157.jpg

Pictures2154.jpg