SafetySouth General Defensive Carbine

GENERAL DEFENSIVE CARBINE

Saturday, January 23, 2010 (Smyrna) 7:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

A one day, entry level study of the magazine fed semi-automatic rifle or carbine in its close range defensive role. Rifles and carbines suitable for this course are typically chambered in 5.56 mm and 7.62 mm. Pistol caliber carbines are also suitable and welcome. This course will cover: firearms safety, carbine/rifle function and nomenclature, ammunition and accessory selection, administrative and tactical gun handling, battle sight zero and marksmanship drills, malfunction clearance, and a qualification course. A Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit is recommended as a prerequisite.

About your instructor: Chuck Barnes is a 16 year law enforcement veteran, and former Tactical Team member. He is a graduate of the FBI Firearms Instructor Course, and is an NRA Certified Law Enforcement Instructor for Patrol Rifle and Tactical Shooting. He is also a Colt Defense factory certified armorer for the M-16/AR-15 rifle.

Your TGO discount makes this course just $ 94.50. :D

Visit www.SafetySouth.net to register.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a long mental list of people I want to bring to this. Can we get some more info on this? Is a sling required? How many mags should we bring? Do we have to have a pistol and a holster? How much ammo should we bring? Is there a group discount? What are the class capacities? NFA carbines allowed?

I have a long mental list of people I want to bring to this. Can we get some more info on this? Is a sling required? Yes. How many mags should we bring? Minimum of 3. Do we have to have a pistol and a holster? Yes. transitions to handgun will be covered. How much ammo should we bring? 400 minimum for rifle/carbine, 100 for handgun Is there a group discount? But of course ;) What are the class capacities? ? NFA carbines allowed? Yes, with all necessary registration documentation.

• 1 month later...

two questions.

how LATE can we register? (work is finicky, could be the Friday before the course).

how do we get our TGO discount?

and are there any resonable hotels in the area? I'm certain that i would have a place to crash, but just in case...

two questions.

how LATE can we register? (work is finicky, could be the Friday before the course). I understand sporadic work schedules.....letting me know the day before will be fine.

how do we get our TGO discount? After I know you're coming, I just knock 10% off your balance.

and are there any resonable hotels in the area? I'm certain that i would have a place to crash, but just in case... Sleep Inn and Suites in Smyrna is our host hotel. If you end up staying here, let me know and I will speak to the Manager about the SafetySouth rate.

Hey.....wait a minute !! That was THREE questions !! :confused: Hope you can make it !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bo, what is the max distance at this range? I can't seem to remember.

Also, does Chuck have any experience with the Sig 556? it breaks down a little differently from the std AR and I could use a little guidance

It's starting to look like I might be able to make this one. I will know soon.

Mark

Mark, I ran the course with my 556 earlier in the year with no problem (that's me in the pictures on the first page, gray shirt/blue hat)...however, I can't speak for Bo/Chuck's knowledge of the rifle, since we never had to break it down!

Bo, what is the max distance at this range? I can't seem to remember.

Also, does Chuck have any experience with the Sig 556? it breaks down a little differently from the std AR and I could use a little guidance

It's starting to look like I might be able to make this one. I will know soon.

Mark

Mark,

We'll only go out to 25-30 yards with this one. Focus is on close-in work.

As for the 556, Chuck informs me that he has only passing experience with this particular rifle. However, if you bring the owner's manual, I will bring the duct tape and ball-peen hammer. :D

Sweet...

Still trying to clear my schedule for this. Unfortunately it might come down to not knowing until a day or 2 before.

My biggest confusion on the rifle is not knowing exactly what to do with the piston as far as lube goes. I need to do some more reading.

I am so ready to go shoot I just can't stand it

If i can find a carbine before this class,i will definatly be comming provided my work schedule.

Wow this year is looking awsome, Girlfriends HCP course on the 9th,possibly the carbine class, and both the girlfreind and I are allready excited about the defensive handgun course.