Ticks and Chiggers....

Ok fellas...the youth hunt is this weekend and I am takin out my 11 yr old and my 15 yr old....with temps this week in the mid 60's to low 70's for highs and lows in the 50-60 range what are the odds that the pests are still kicking. I know around here we have had a few frosts but is that enough to make them dissappear? Some of you guys that have been doing a little bow hunting please chime in...or any with a little more experience than myself (that shouldn't be too hard!)....usually it is much colder than it is currently before I hit the woods....thanks in advance! ;)

Edited by tbuford
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ticks appear to be gone but I was still whacking mosquito's Sat and Sun afternoons. If you would hurry up and get a buddy ladder stand you wouldn't be as worried LOL. Of course you have a nice ground blind to hunt from so I can't fault ya.

By the way, does your 110 year old really qualify for the juvy hunt? LOL

(should have quoted, he done found the edit button)

Edited by Rightwinger
Guest tonybon

uh WOW! you have a 110 year old! sweet!!!! ive had no problems with the little ticks and chiggers. no snakes eather. good luck hope they each get one!

Ticks appear to be gone but I was still whacking mosquito's Sat and Sun afternoons. If you would hurry up and get a buddy ladder stand you wouldn't be as worried LOL. Of course you have a nice ground blind to hunt from so I can't fault ya.

By the way, does your 110 year old really qualify for the juvy hunt? LOL

Your killin me....so much for my proof reading skills! He is 11...not 110...which would put me in the record books somewhere! And yes, I do have a great ground blind...you know...that was one of the best purchases I have made..did very well from it last year! Boys are just as excited as I am...can't wait! I can deal with the skeeters but hate the ticks...or maybe it is the post hunt tick check.... ;)

Guest coldblackwind

I'll head up back tomorrow, if the ticks are out, I'll be able to tell you, average about 6-10 each trip. If it bites, pricks, stabs, scrapes, or poisons, I swear its on that hill.

Your killin me....so much for my proof reading skills! He is 11...not 110...which would put me in the record books somewhere! And yes, I do have a great ground blind...you know...that was one of the best purchases I have made..did very well from it last year! Boys are just as excited as I am...can't wait! I can deal with the skeeters but hate the ticks...or maybe it is the post hunt tick check.... :lol:

That depends on if you have help with the tick check :clap:

I'll head up back tomorrow, if the ticks are out, I'll be able to tell you, average about 6-10 each trip. If it bites, pricks, stabs, scrapes, or poisons, I swear its on that hill.

Know how you feel...skeeters don't bother me much but they love the boys...guess they are sweeter than I am....but the ticks....I'm like a big buffet on thanksgiving...

Skeeters are still bad here. I did see a snake Sunday afternoon. Chiggers should be gone. Seed Ticks should be gone. Larger ticks will probably still be crawling if the weather is warm.

I always believe that it is better to be safe than sorry. Spray yours and the kids clothes down with Permanon and let it dry so it is oderless and than you won't have to worry.

Ticks are still out, picked up a few yesterday in the field. Just on the pants though. Long pants, high socks, and a good check afterwards and you should be ok.

Great...I can hear the bro-in-law say later in the evening during the kids trick or treating...."hey man, I understand not dressing up and all that...but whats up with that growth thing you got on your neck there?"

Chiggers, Ugh! One of my coworkers got into a mess of those in South Dakota hunting Prairie rats this past summer and got covered in literally thousands of them. I have never seen anything like it. I was miserable just looking at him.