Security Guard Training

Guest logicprevails

Guest logicprevails

For those in the forum that work in the private security sector, what kind of additional training do you get to engage in beyond the 2 day state-sanctioned course?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those in the forum that work in the private security sector, what kind of additional training do you get to engage in beyond the 2 day state-sanctioned course?

This obviously won't be the status quo, but here is what I have been through and some of what I teach now.

All of us went through a 40 hour class on basic procedures, tactics, laws, and policies. Then we went through 2 week site specific training with an FTO. Then when you go to your shift you are attached at the hip to your Sgt. who trains you for an additional two weeks. You are also generally not allowed to answer any service calls alone for about 3 months.

Then we get state certified in Chemical and Impact Weapon. We also do Crisis Intervention training and PMAB (Prevention and Management of Aggressive Behavior) which is used at Lakeside and MMHI. It covers both mentally and physically handling aggressive patients and suspects.

We also try to work as closely as possible with MPD and SCSD to get input for training, procedures, and just general crime stats in the area,etc.

We also get HAZMAT Decon training.

There are some other little things we do and we are constantly training or doing recurrencies just to keep up or alter something.

Guest logicprevails

That's actually quite a bit of training for an unarmed (or armed for that matter) gig. Most don't actually follow through with the FTO program and end up sending guards solo on, I dunno....day 2.

That's actually quite a bit of training for an unarmed (or armed for that matter) gig. Most don't actually follow through with the FTO program and end up sending guards solo on, I dunno....day 2.

Yea I'm the FTO now for my site and I'm constantly writing training aids doing recurrent training, etc. It helps alot because sometimes we may go through slow periods and to keep it fresh really decreases the risk of having an "incident"

Guest logicprevails
I could work on the Strike Team! lol I already have my career goals in line. Just gotta get done with school :)

Yep. Some of 'em are a bunch of jacklegs. There are still some good side gig opportunities in proprietary (and even some contract gigs). Even some celebrity protection.

What's the career goal, if I may ask?

What is required by my location is to stay updated on CPR/First Aid and then we do scenario training in Bomb Threats, Evac, Terrorism, Robbery, etc. Most of it is watching a video or something similar and then taking a test. I get the idea they want something on file saying we've been trained.

Personally, if this was a career thing I would get baton & chemical certified and take weapons training for sure. While technically I'm unarmed, the guys I work with and under are all ex LEO and or Corrections officers with a lot of experience. We all carry something.:shhh: You'd have to be a fool to work downtown, overnight, alone with only a flashflight and a Nextel.:)

Guest logicprevails
What is required by my location is to stay updated on CPR/First Aid and then we do scenario training in Bomb Threats, Evac, Terrorism, Robbery, etc. Most of it is watching a video or something similar and then taking a test. I get the idea they want something on file saying we've been trained.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the 'training' is more to benefit their liability policy premiums than the guard.

Yep. Some of 'em are a bunch of jacklegs. There are still some good side gig opportunities in proprietary (and even some contract gigs). Even some celebrity protection.

What's the career goal, if I may ask?

Eventually probably PD or something a bit more high end armed security.

I've been doing security work for well over 15 years. It wasnt really a choice for a career, just kinda let it happen.

any training beyond the state requirements is not the "norm" sometimes 1stAid/CPR is done, but only at the convenience of the company.

any extra training will end up being on your dime, so spend it well.

with that said, Security is good as a part time job/ or while your in school. it is not good as a stepping stone into LEO work. if you want LEO, apply for the jail or your local LEO....

I enjoy the work that I do, but If I had to do it over again, I'd apply for the jail and work my up, or join the military.

just my $0.02 worth