Trigger Adjustments on Remington 700

Guest Plainsman

Guest Plainsman

I think I've made a pretty bonehead move while adjusting my trigger on my 700, and wanted to see if I could get some input before taking it to a gunsmith. While making my final adjustment on the "overtravel" screw, I believe that I made the mistake of taking it too far out and something got out of line. There was nothing in this tutorial stating that you could take these screws out too far. Now I cannot get this overtravel screw to return to being flush with the trigger assembly like I started with to make the correct adjustment. Is there a way to get everything lined back up properly without replacing the entire trigger assembly? I can't believe that I made this mistake on such an easy adjustment, but it is my first time trying this and its what I get for enjoying tinkering around. Thanks for any help, given such a poor description of the problem. I've included the link to the tutorial I was using.

Adjusting the Remington 700 Trigger

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't chance it and take it to a gunsmith. I was going to do it myself but for 35$ its worth them doing and having a lbs gauge to check it. I really would like to replace mine but money is to tight. My 700 came with a 4lb trigger from the factory.

i got timney triggers in all of my remington rifles. you can work and adjust the factory triggers yourself. the net has the info to do it. or you can get a better trigger for your rifle. do the work yourself and you will feel better in the long run knowning that you did the work yourself. nothing hard in doing the work yourself on your guns. the net has the info on how to do it.

Guest Plainsman

Well, I had attempted to do the work myself, which is why I'm in this predicament. If I could get the overtravel screw back into its correct position to start over, I'd be good to go from now learning the hard way!

Springfield - see the little schematic in this link - http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/RemingtonTriggers.asp

I don't see why you can't get it back where you need it. The trigger assembly should be able to be taken apart and re-assembled.

http://stevespages.com/ipb-remington-700.html

Remington has a "zoom view" schematic that may be helpful, however you need to download the media player.

Good luck, if all else fails buy an aftermarket trigget anyway.