Just Thankful.

Guest jackdm3

Guest jackdm3

During a brief conversation I had with 56FordGuy, I had an embarassing reminder of our good fortunes.

My house is decently insulated. We run the heat at a moderate temperature. I have a small space heater at my feet. My wife has a nice space heater as she surfs the net. My cat is quite happy to be out from the cold.

The topic with 56FordGuy was the Rev. War. and keeping your powder dry. While I'm snuggling up, I realize that they fought a war for years, and most had to endure the winter. Outside. And hungry. And, more to the point, without heat. There were some times when they couldn't start a fire for either lack of dry wood or the threat of a campfire being seen by the Redcoats. They must have been absolutely miserable beyond our imagination.

I'm a little choked as I type this because I don't know what real suffering is, to be honest. And they gave me everything. And my government now takes it away.

REMEMBER THE DEAD.

Edited by jackdm3
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker
During a brief conversation I had with 56FordGuy, I had an embarassing reminder of our good fortunes.

My house is decently insulated. We run the heat at a moderate temperature. I have a small space heater at my feet. My wife has a nice space heater as she surfs the net. My cat is quite happy to be out from the cold.

The topic with 56FordGuy was the Rev. War. and keeping your powder dry. While I'm snuggling up, I realize that they fought a war for years, and most had to endure the winter. Outside. And hungry. And, more to the point, without heat. There were sometimes when they couldn't start a fire for either lack of dry wood or the threat of a campfire being seen by the Redcoats. They must have been absolutely miserable beyond our imagination.

I'm a little choked as I type this because I don't know what real suffering is, to be honest. And they gave me everything. And my government now takes it away.

REMEMBER THE DEAD.

More so, remember WHY they were willing to DIE.

We're a generation of pansies. We think we're so tough, but we are sissies.

I'm abundantly aware, and I don't know what we are going to do.

:D

Guest Sgt. Joe

Jack, I have taken awhile to figure out what to say, I only hope it makes sense.

Try and not be so down about it all. Each generation has to deal with it's own trials and tribulations. It is not our fault that we have central and space heaters it is simply the progression of mankind.

I have to constantly remind myself of this when it comes to the kids, they want the latest and greatest of all things electronic and while it irritates me at times, it isnt their fault that they were born into a world with these things. Had they been available when I was young I am sure I would have wanted them also.

It is true that our Forefathers had a much harder life than we do, but we also have our own things to worry about. These days it is mostly the almighty bills to pay for all our things. And we worry about the direction of our great country and just what in the world we can do to stop the slide and loss of our Freedoms.

It is frustrating for a lot of us, but I do firmly believe that there are "Forefather" quality people among us and that we will survive as a Republic.

Try and not feel guilty that our pets have it better than those who gave us this Great Country, Like I said it is simply the progression of man.

So keep your feet and your Heart warm. Do what you can for others and dont ever feel guilty about the life we have. Like you said many have given ALL so that we can have what we do have, I am sure they would want us to enjoy every bit of it and use all the things that we have to make it even better.

So long as we dont ever forget from where we came and what others endured and gave to us we will be fine. It is those who do forget and take things for granted that will have the most problems.

Most of all do not ever feel alone in your thoughts about this.

Guest Swamprunner

I agree, with regard to the progression of man. But, as a species, the human is the ONLY animal which takes care of their young forever. At least this current generation. :(

One nice winter night I spent on watch in the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in the Portsmouth river with 2 truck size holes in the boat. Note the river flows fast enough it won't freeze and southern Maine/N.H. is not the place to winter! The outside temp was roughly -20 with a windchill into the ain't no way this is possible range. The inside temp was about 5 degrees warmer - no heat on a sub in overhaul. Wearing my entire cold weather outfit (field jacket, sub sweater, navy sweater, long sleeve shirt, and gloves) I cut the top out of a pop can and burnt paper (holding the can) to keep my hands from freezing.

Those dudes back in the Rev War were some tough old birds!

What would Patton think? We complain so much because we have so much. Ironic isn't it. The more we are blessed the more we think we should be. :rolleyes:

Makes me think of the question I was asked by a 16 yr. old kid in Kenya. He first was astonished to find out we had prisons and crime and then asked, "Why would there be thieves when everyone has so much?"

Most people in alive in this country have no idea what it is like to really suffer or NEED for anything. We may not have everything we want but we have everything we need. We have been truely blessed by the sacrifices of others. Thanks for making me stop to think about it.