state appealing "guns in resturants" decision

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm new to the state. Does anyone have an idea of what happens when the state "appeals" this ruling. i.e. timeline steps etc.

Bob

Great question, and I wish I knew the answer. The only thing I've heard is that an appeal could take a long time to get the job done. Of course, the legislature can keep working on other solutions while the appeal is going through. So, hopefully one of the two avenues will lead to the desired destination.

It can be appealed to a higher court. TN State Supreme Court, I guess. Just going over her head, which should be a good thing,

unless there is more judicial activism.

One of the earlier links on this had the Judge's decision. It Did Not read like activism.

It sounded like a law that was written a bit too quickly, and the definition component did not meet the legal requirements... Hopefully an easy fix. We want a law that supports our US Constitutional and Tennessee Constitutional Rights, and is written properly to prevent legal challenge.

Make sure NO ONE goes to Randy Rayburn's restaurants. IMHO, he does NOT deserve your money as he is against your Constitutional RIGHT.

There are many 'vague' laws out there. If this judge's idea of vagueness was allowed to stand, then many laws would be unconstitutional. Look at 'intent to go armed'. There is no statutory definition in TN of what that means....a lot of court cases that interpret it. Also look at the no guns on school property law. In theory we are supposed to know where any 'school function' is or we could be charged with a felony is for 'intent to go armed' on property that is not where a school is.....such as a private golf course or church being used for a 'school function'. Many of us hate the vagueness of the silly sign law here that we can be fined max 500 bucks.....what does 'substantially similar' mean? Many other laws are just as vague (according to this judge) that have nothing to do with guns and permits. The law to me was quite simple to understand...and was separate from the state's liquor laws.

One of the earlier links on this had the Judge's decision. It Did Not read like activism.

It sounded like a law that was written a bit too quickly, and the definition component did not meet the legal requirements... Hopefully an easy fix. We want a law that supports our US Constitutional and Tennessee Constitutional Rights, and is written properly to prevent legal challenge.

Make sure NO ONE goes to Randy Rayburn's restaurants. IMHO, he does NOT deserve your money as he is against your Constitutional RIGHT.

I know he owns the Sunset Grill does he own/operate any other places?

Rayburn owns Sunset Grill, Midtown Café and Cabana.

I'm in Tennessee for the holidays and it's a bummer to see the No Guns signs at some of the restaurants we used to visit often when we lived here. Huey's was a big disappointment. Even when the law is fixed next year, they will undoubtedly continue this misguided policy. Some may not have given it much thought -- it's my understanding that the restaurant association was handing the signs out.

Back in PA there are no restrictions, even in bars. Been that way for well over a decade and still no blood in our streets.

Guest Jcochran88
Until they start posting a "Proper" sign, I am still going to carry.

They expect me to follow the law,

I expect them to follow the law to.

They don't have to post now that the law has been struck down due to being unconstitutional.:up: