Looking for AK-74

Guest zoothslooth

Guest zoothslooth

I've been looking into some AK's and I'm really intrigued by the AK-74's. Anyone have any insight about the rifle/round compared to the 47's as far as accuracy, reliability and general pro's and con's of each? Thanks for any info in advance.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have sold all my carbines and focused on the AK74 family.

The 5.45x39 round is the cheapest on the market, locally $170 per 1080 rounds, and $150 shipped from aimsurplus.com. Its surplus, corrosive, but its a hot round! Don't be scared by corrosive ammo, a simple bath of hot water down the barrel and gas tube, then clean as normal. If you want non corrosive 5.45x39 wolf costs the same per 1k as 7.62x39.

It is very accurate for a combat rifle 3-5 moa at 100 yards. It wont shoot cloverleafs, but it will surprise you. Red dots and side mounted POSP scopes are also fun.

I have a Bulgarian ISD imported AK74 and I love it. I also have a Lancaster RR74 and another lancaster 74 on the way that I was going to keep for back up, might sell it.

There is a huge following of the 74 darkside on ar15.com, I'd check it out over there, as all the info in the world on variants and models can be found. For 74 info, try the AK General Discussion form, as well as the Bulgarian thread (most 74's are Bulgarian kit builds). http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=4&f=64&page=1

The best: Arsenal SGL-31, runs around $800 K-VAR Corporation :: Rifles & Shotguns :: SGL31 Series – 5.45x39 Caliber Russian Stamped Receiver AK-74 Variant Rifles :: SGL31-61

Its a legit Russian built 74 clone, same factory.

The Good: Bulgarian guns built by TGI / In-Range / Lancaster. The best place to find these is from Atlantic Firearms. I can not recommend a better vendor. Blaine is a top notch fellow, and will treat you right.

AK 74 RR Rifle $479.00 0121 - Lancaster Rough Rider, got one, love it.

AK 74 Rifle For Sale Atlantic Firearms.com - In Range built AK74, very nice rifle, a co-worker of mine has one, and it runs like a top.

The Bad: ANY AK74 / Polish Tantal made by Century Arms. They used the wrong barrels to build a good bit of their Polish Tantals. They used .556 barrels for the builds thinking it would work. It means massive keyholing. 5.56 = .224 and 5.45 = .221, so the compatibility was not there. Just stay away from Century 5.45 guns

Here is my ISD:

IMG00116.jpg

IMG00107.jpg

Edited by csaxj3

Not that true for all the Tantal's from Century. I have had one for two years and has never keyholed. I use strictly surplus. I know of two others that don't either. Mine was number 63. As of late the newer one's shoot good also. They come in 1/7, 1/8 and 1/9 twist. Most issues were shooting 70gr Wolf ammo which you can't find anymore. Most complaints have been INTERNET chatter from the same people. I have not seen one article where it has been proved by slugging the barrel for size. But Century has just as much trouble with WASR and CETME. I bought mine for around 500.00. The 5.45 sell for a much higher price than it's 7.62 brother in some of the more well known makers. the only exception being the Saiga.

I also have a AR that shoots 5.45X39. This one is really accurate for what it is. I have been paying 107.00 per 1080. Not mater how many tins shipping is 12.50.

Edited by R1100R

Great thread, and thanks csaxj3 for putting so much great info in such a small space.

In looking at the Lancaster Arms AK 74 Rough Rider, I'd like to see some reports/knowledge on the stainless steel barrels of the Lancaster 74 RR currently being offered.

Looking at the Lancaster site, Lancaster is listing the 74 RR as being available with chrome-lined barrels, but the Lancaster 74 RR rifles currently available from Atlantic Arms and AIMSurplus, at very attractive prices, list stainless steel barrels.

Does anyone know of any range reports or reports from owners of the current Lancaster 74 RR rifles with the stainless steel barrels ?

Not that true for all the Tantal's from Cenutry. I have had one for two years and has never keyholed. I use strictly surplus. I know of two others that don't either. Mine was number 63. As of late the newer one's shoot good also. They come in 1/7, 1/8 and 1/9 twist. Most issues were shooting 70gr Wolf ammo which you can't find anymore. Most complaints have been INTERNET chatter from the same people. I have not seen one article where it has been proved by slugging the barrel for size. But Cenutry has just as much trouble with WASR and CETME. I bought mine for around 500.00. The 5.45 sell for a mucher higher price than it's 7.62 brother in some of the more well known makers. the only eception being the Saiga.

I also have a AR that shoots 5.45X39. This one is really accurate for what it is. I have been paying 107.00 per 1080. Not mater how many tins shipping is 12.50.

Where do you source the ammo?

Where do you source the ammo?

It's 7N6 from the Ukraine. From a distributor in the US. Is 5.45 made in China? I know they have a new service round. I used to buy ton's of Ammo from China is the late 80's. I preferred it over the current Russian

offerings.

Edited by R1100R
Guest 70below

I've got a kit built Tantal folder that I had built by a local gunsmith that did an awesome job. Its got the original Tantal barrel and is one of my favorite blasters. My only regret is that I had it built while everyone was slammed, so it cost me. Luckly the price of ammo makes up for it.

The $107 per K was a special that was run at Christmas, unfortunately its back up quite a bit, I'm hoping for another sale as I was broke at Christmas but managed to grab a couple cans.

I've got a kit built Tantal folder that I had built by a local gunsmith that did an awesome job. Its got the original Tantal barrel and is one of my favorite blasters. My only regret is that I had it built while everyone was slammed, so it cost me. Luckly the price of ammo makes up for it.

The $107 per K was a special that was run at Christmas, unfortunately its back up quite a bit, I'm hoping for another sale as I was broke at Christmas but managed to grab a couple cans.

Your referring to the sale at Century. I am not. Mine is from a export/import company in GA. Same place I get my 10MM.

A friend of my Brothers. Not open to the public. I think AIM has it for 129.95.

Edited by R1100R
Guest jimdigriz

It is very accurate for a combat rifle 3-5 moa at 100 yards.

You can generally expect better with Saigas and SGLs (which are professionally converted Saigas), especially with a good optic.

Guest 70below
Your referring to the sale at Century. I am not. Mine is from a export/import company in GA. Same place I get my 10MM.

A friend of my Brothers. Not open to the public. I think AIM has it for 129.95.

Well thanks for teasin' us......lol

Guest Todd@CIS

DSC00697.jpg

Top is my Polish Tantal (5.45x39)...bottom is my Romanian Sar-1 (7.62x39).

As soon as my ATF paperwork clears, I'll also have a Bulgarian Krinkov (5.45x39).

Edited by Todd@CIS
  • 2 weeks later...
You can generally expect better with Saigas and SGLs (which are professionally converted Saigas), especially with a good optic.

I've shot both my Lancaster and ISD along side an SGL-31 with a PO3,5 optic (Commie ACOG) and the accuracy is the same. 3-5 MOA (based on 10 round groups, 3 round groups are a joke)

The most accurate groups I've seen are with the 70 grain wolf, however I prefer the 7N6 as its cheaper and a hotter round.

According to a friend who was at SHOT, the century rep said they should have more 5.45 in soon, in the millions of rounds, as in many shipping containers, seems like its held up in customs.

Makes sense, everyone is pushing new 74 clones to the market, 3 Eastern European armies are going to NATO.... I imagine cheap 5.45 for some time to come. I get a tin or two a month to stock up.

Tennessee Guns might still have their ISD's onsale. If your a member of theakforum.net, check out the TGI section for the promotional code, knocks about $100 off.

----

As to the CAI Tantals, I had two, both keyholed. My bias towards them is based on personal experience. However, the M70 I have of theirs is quite nice.

Edited by csaxj3
Guest jimdigriz
Tennessee Guns might still have their ISD's onsale. If your a member of theakforum.net, check out the TGI section for the promotional code, knocks about $100 off.

theakforum.net has given me 404 errors for about a week and a half...I'm guessing the site is now defunct, unfortunately. (If they can't fix a website error in that amount of time, they may not be trying).