help on mini 14

rab

I had very good luck on my last problem from this site that my son is looking for some help.

Problem, he had the firing pin replaced at a gun store in his mini 14 Ruger, A few days later he was looking at it an dry fired it and the bolt locked up. Had to release it through the magazine channel. then the bolt would work ok till he dry fired again an then lock-up.

What could be the problem

Thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem, he had the firing pin replaced at a gun store in his mini 14 Ruger, A few days later he was looking at it an dry fired it and the bolt locked up. Had to release it through the magazine channel. then the bolt would work ok till he dry fired again an then lock-up. ..

Take it back to gun shop and have them get it right.

Or am I missing something here?

- OS

No, your not missing anything ,will do that this coming week,but was looking for infor so that could have some ideal of what they may have done incorrectly when returing

Probably a return spring or whatever resets the trigger on sear, something like that would be my WAG.

Heck, they could've put in wrong firing pin and it's simply binding, for all I know.

If you want to pin it down, if it's common prob, or even rare, perfectunion.com would be where I'd ask first in the mini 14 category. Might even be in one of the stickies there. Assuming somebody here doesn't step up pretty soon.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Mini's are pretty unique in that everything in the bolt is held together by one single pin that is a leg of the extractor. All hell breaks lose when you get this thing out and aren't expecting it. It is equally as difficult to get it back in working order unless you have gone through an armorer course or studied the gun in depth.

My guess is that the person doing the firing pin fitting (no fault of his own...these parts are infrequently broken and not repaired often) put everything back and that extractor is the source of the problem. The firing pin likely isn't the problem. Because the cam action of the bolt in the receiver and charging handle are separate sub assemblies that wouldn't go together at all if they weren't right you can count them as working also if the bolt closes. You can even go so far as confirming the trigger group is not binding if you can get it free from the gun in its current state.

The action is patterned after the M-1 Garand the hammer can fall even if the bolt is not closed. My guess is that the extractor may be slightly bound preventing the bolt from falling 100% in battery and the hammer is smacking it harder into this bound position jamming things up.

Unless you want to play Mini bolt jujitsu...I am sure that the person who fitted it will fix it no questions asked. Do not let him tell you that dry firing the gun was the culprit and you are somehow at fault for letting a hammer fall on an empty chamber....not even remotely true

Ruger customer service is great. I think that would be my first course of action given the comment about them being hard to work on. Just look at the Ruger website for the correct number to call.

On a side note, my friend had a 22/45 that had a casing explode or something, but it broke the loaded chamber indicator. He called them, they paid for shipping both ways, replaced the broken part, replaced all the springs, and had it back to him in less than two weeks for no charge at all. Excellent service.

Thanks for the help My son took his gun back to the gun store and the problem was the new stock firing pin had to be resized is what he was told never heard of that but it works now

Hmmm.

I for one would never use that gunsmith again, and I'd probably not be confident re the fix even now.

- OS

• 1 month later...
Guest excatm76

I saw this thread late, but in case the OP is still following it. It is my understanding that the mini-14 firing pin is a controlled part that nobody can get. All the aftermarket firing pins are supposed to be junk. So you may want to send it to RUger and get the factory pin put in. They will fit extra pins for a small fee, so you have a spare or two.