japanese rifle?

jtluttrell

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did some google for you,..

As long as it isn't a "Last Ditch" or late production rifle.. your OK to shoot it after a proper inspection by a gunsmith is made

ammo may not be too hard to get as I found this also.. The 7.7 Arisaka | Reloading

The 7.7 Arisaka cartridge can be thought of as a cross between the .303 British and the .30-06. For that matter, it’s also very similar to the 7.65 Argentine Mauser. It is not interchangeable with any of the three. It uses .311-inch-diameter bullets (the same as the .303 British) but is a rimless Mauser-type cartridge just like the .30-06. The only source of factory-new 7.7 Arisaka ammunition that I could find today is Norma, and the company makes only one loading, that with a 174-grain soft nose bullet. If you aren’t able to get any cases for reloading by using Norma ammo, you can easily form them from .30-06 brass using the regular 7.7 Arisaka (or 7.7x58) case-sizing die. You simply trim the .30-06 cases to 2.27 inches (that takes off about one-quarter of an inch) and then run them through the resizing die. The shoulder gets set back by about .130 inch, and of course the neck gets opened slightly to accept the .311-inch bullet. It is not a heavy job, but it may be too much to be done in many progressive presses.

I do not know of your resources for reloading or case forming but thought this may help..

John

that is cool that he was allowed to keep his enemys rifle. couldn't do that these days

The story I've heard is that my grandfather was beat with the butt of a rifle by a Japanese, earning him his purple heart. I wonder now if this was that rifle? It may not be, but that would be pretty cool. :up:

I have one of these as well, Actually my Great Grandmother does it was my great Granddads brought back from wwII, he brought it back wrapped in an Army blanket, the mum on his is still there nothing marked out, grew up seeing in his gun cabinet, he died about 20 years ago and my grandmother left it in the cabinet, last thanksgiving she handed out all of papa's guns to the grand kids that where there. She gave the type 99 to my grandmother, it was an act of God, two weeks later after returning to her house after spending time with family in Florida, she came home and was changing sheets on the bed and her house caught on fire and it burned about 60% of the house including the gun cabinet, but thankfully she had giving all his rifles out before then. she now is livng her in nashville with her daughter.

caught a show on the history channel about the type 99 rifle and began doing a little reseach can across the link posted above and at christmas got the gun out and looked to see if the mum was still there, I after showing intrest in the rifle my Great Grandmother has told everyone she wants me to have it after her death, (No i'm not looking to see mt 89 yr old Great Grandmother die) she is a great women still drives!!! but the gun will be forever treasured,

I just wish my papa was still alive so i could talk to him about the gun He died when i was only 7 years old

Guest BEARMAN

Wouldn't it be great if you could find a complete, pristine original uncut stock for it.

The collector value would most likely double. Then start searching for the accessories for it...IE, bayonet, sling etc.