Mossberg Pump

Guest Longshot1

Guest Longshot1

Own a small farm and have occasional use for a shotgun. Have a single shot Model 37 Winchester but need somemore firepower. My 20" Tactical isn't much good for hunting! Called some crows in Saturday and needed 4-5 rounds instead of one. Looked at Mossbergs online and they have alot of models. I like the price and I am not a brand freak. Looking at the 835. Would like to have a decent all around dove, crow, rabbit gun. Noticed replacement barrels are pretty reasonable. Any comments? Have seen the Stoegers but have not paid much attention to them but heard good things. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 10mm4me

Given the choice I would go w/the Stoeger. But the Mossberg should work out fine. The 835 is a good gun. I personally prefer a good Rem. 870, but you won't go wrong with the 835.

Guest Longshot1

Used to have my boat docked at 9 mile on Tellico. We always called it Trigonia. It was close. That is such a cool name it just stuck with me. My dad carried mail down there years ago around Big Gulley, Trigonia and the Big Elm. I actually live about 15 miles back toward Maryville now. I looked at a 24"ported barrel, vent rib 500 Maverick at Bill's yesterday. Camo'd up real nice. Very light. He had $349 on it and I thought that was decent. Very close to buying that one.

I shot a guy's brand new Mossy 500 just this very day, just two rounds of standard Remington 2 3/4" slugs.

Oddly, it felt like it kicked more than my 870, but has been maybe 6 months since I've shot any shotgun, so maybe my imagination.

- OS

Guest Broomhead

Mossberg 500/ Remington 870. Either one can be modded up however you like and will serve you well for many many years with proper maintenance.

I personally like the 870 series better, but that is just my opinion.

You will have to verify this but I believe the Mossberg 835 owners manual says to not shoot slugs, but that may not be an issue for you. Maybe a fellow reader will verify this for us.

Oh wow, reading up, yeah, looks like all 835 variants are overbored.

Overbored barrels are definitely a no slug caveat.

That might make a difference in your choice, Longshot1?

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I've owned Mossbergs and Remmingtons (currently own a Mossberg 930 and a Benelli Super Nova tactical both set up for home defense).

You can't really go wrong with wither brand; they are both great shotguns for the money....my only complaint with the Mossberg is the placement of the safety; it's never been "comfortable" for me.

Edited by RobertNashville
Guest forklift

I have a Mossbert 535 ATS in the 12 gauge field variation. I have nothing but great things to say about it. It will feed and shoot anything and I love that it's chambered for 3 & 1/2" magnum and below. I've put well over 500 rounds through it so far and it works like the day I bought it. It's a breeze to strip and clean. You can always find accessories for it because except for the receiver, it's all 500 parts. There are also lots of choke options even though it will come with 3 - that's a bargain! The 835 will be just as awesome if you like the overbore.