Bills Being Heard Today 3/16/10

These Bills are being heard today in the Judiciary Committee at 3:30pm (Nashville time). I hope the video broadcast doesn't fail again this week.

2. *HB2718 by *Campfield. (SB3752 by *Bunch.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, provides that a certified copy of a birth certificate is not required for the issuance or renewal of a handgun carry permit. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

The Abstract summarizes HB2718 as introduced.

9. HB3125 by *Todd, *Dennis, *Evans, *Fincher. (*SB3012 by *Jackson.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, allows person with handgun carry permit to possess handgun in establishment licensed by alcoholic beverage commission as a "restaurant," provided it is not posted; increases penalty for permit holder consuming alcohol within such an establishment; clarifies and makes uniform language constituting valid posting and increases penalty for unlawfully carrying firearm in place where alcohol served for consumption on-premises. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13; Section 57-3-204 and Section 57-4-203.

Summary for HB3125

17. HB1801 by *West. (*SB1615 by *Beavers.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, provides that "handgun carry permit" may be used interchangeably with "weapon carry permit" where applicable, thereby imposing any rights or duties that apply to persons with a handgun carry permit to persons who carry a lawful weapon. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

The Abstract summarizes HB1801 as introduced.

18. HB1808 by *West, *Fincher, *Evans, *Dennis. (*SB1620 by *Beavers.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, extends from 60 to 90 days the amount of time that a permit holder has to notify the department of safety that the holder's address has changed. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17.

The Abstract summarizes HB1808 as introduced.

19. HB1809 by *West, *Fincher. (*SB1621 by *Beavers.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, clarifies that rules concerning weapons shall be subject to review by the house and senate government operations committees. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

The Abstract summarizes HB1809 as introduced.

37. HB2567 by *Fincher. (*SB2390 by *Jackson, *Gresham.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, allows person without handgun carry permit to transport rifle or shotgun in privately-owned motor vehicle provided there is no ammunition in the chamber or cylinder and no loaded clip or magazine in the weapon or in close proximity to the weapon. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

Summary for HB2567

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pws_smokeyjones
Can't say as I like the ambiguity of "...close proximity to the weapon." One person's close proximity can mean outside of the bag/case whereas another's could mean in the same vehicle.

Well snot, I am yet again confused. I thought this bill WOULD allow you to have a magazine in the firearm, but NOT have a round loaded in the chamber??? Or is that maybe a different bill?

Well snot, I am yet again confused. I thought this bill WOULD allow you to have a magazine in the firearm, but NOT have a round loaded in the chamber??? Or is that maybe a different bill?

This bill is for people without a HCP. It seems to me as this bill makes it for those that are without a HCP as it used to be for those with a HCP. IMHO, abiguity in the law is no bueno. That's allows liberal cops, DA's, and judges room to go to the extreme.

The ambiguity of "close proximity" was actually touched upon in last week's discussions in the subcommittee, IIRC. I think the sponsor was considering several options for amendments that would strike a balance between the effort to offer proper protection to LEO's, etc during a stop and the inconveniences imposed on folks having no illegal intent. From the floor discussion, I took it that the exact semantics have been the topic of considerable discussion among several pro-2A legislators, and they are really struggling with the wording.

The ambiguity of "close proximity" was actually touched upon in last week's discussions in the subcommittee, IIRC. I think the sponsor was considering several options for amendments that would strike a balance between the effort to offer proper protection to LEO's, etc during a stop and the inconveniences imposed on folks having no illegal intent. From the floor discussion, I took it that the exact semantics have been the topic of considerable discussion among several pro-2A legislators, and they are really struggling with the wording.

Cool! Thanks for that info.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
This bill is for people without a HCP. It seems to me as this bill makes it for those that are without a HCP as it used to be for those with a HCP. IMHO, abiguity in the law is no bueno. That's allows liberal cops, DA's, and judges room to go to the extreme.

thanks - once again, I read too quickly and over looked the 'without' in the bill summary.

Guest uofmeet

I like 2.

I like parts of 9. don't like the increased penalty. But I do like the standard language for sings. If i am reading it correctly.

17 is fine with me and 18.

Not sure what 19 means. still new to keeping up in politics.

37 gets a little harry. Sounds like if nothing is in the chamber, or magazine it is ok. But if you have a loaded magazine, it can't be in "close proximity." Which to me is way to vague. I would like something a little more defined instead of "close proximity." Although I do have a HCP, I think it still needs to be more defined.

And from what I gathered in other threads, Vague can mean unconstitutional.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
I like 2.

I like parts of 9. don't like the increased penalty. But I do like the standard language for sings. If i am reading it correctly.

17 is fine with me and 18.

Not sure what 19 means. still new to keeping up in politics.

37 gets a little harry. Sounds like if nothing is in the chamber, or magazine it is ok. But if you have a loaded magazine, it can't be in "close proximity." Which to me is way to vague. I would like something a little more defined instead of "close proximity." Although I do have a HCP, I think it still needs to be more defined.

And from what I gathered in other threads, Vague can mean unconstitutional.

See there, my confusions/misunderstandings and consequent questions have educated you!

37. HB2567 by *Fincher. (*SB2390 by *Jackson, *Gresham.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, allows person without handgun carry permit to transport rifle or shotgun in privately-owned motor vehicle provided there is no ammunition in the chamber or cylinder and no loaded clip or magazine in the weapon or in close proximity to the weapon. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.Summary for HB2567

Rolled one week

18. HB1808 by *West, *Fincher, *Evans, *Dennis. (*SB1620 by *Beavers.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, extends from 60 to 90 days the amount of time that a permit holder has to notify the department of safety that the holder's address has changed. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17.

The Abstract summarizes HB1808 as introduced

Passed

17. HB1801 by *West. (*SB1615 by *Beavers.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, provides that "handgun carry permit" may be used interchangeably with "weapon carry permit" where applicable, thereby imposing any rights or duties that apply to persons with a handgun carry permit to persons who carry a lawful weapon. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

The Abstract summarizes HB1801 as introduced.

19. HB1809 by *West, *Fincher. (*SB1621 by *Beavers.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, clarifies that rules concerning weapons shall be subject to review by the house and senate government operations committees. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

The Abstract summarizes HB1809 as introduced.

Both rolled one week.

2. *HB2718 by *Campfield. (SB3752 by *Bunch.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, provides that a certified copy of a birth certificate is not required for the issuance or renewal of a handgun carry permit. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

The Abstract summarizes HB2718 as introduced.

Note: This bill also included an amendment to address UT prohibiting firearms ownership by student athletes.

Speaker from UT says they have backed off from original statement by athletic director.....just want to control carry on campus and school related events, not prevent ownership or use in general.

Lots of discussion. Including if amendment goes beyond scope of the caption.

Rolled one week. Going to seek AG opinion.

9. HB3125 by *Todd, *Dennis, *Evans, *Fincher. (*SB3012 by *Jackson.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, allows person with handgun carry permit to possess handgun in establishment licensed by alcoholic beverage commission as a "restaurant," provided it is not posted; increases penalty for permit holder consuming alcohol within such an establishment; clarifies and makes uniform language constituting valid posting and increases penalty for unlawfully carrying firearm in place where alcohol served for consumption on-premises. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13; Section 57-3-204 and Section 57-4-203.

Summary for HB3125

Passes 8-4

Sent to Finance Ways and Means