new M&P 40c range report

wipfel

finally got the m&p 40c to the range and i really like it. i had a glock 27 for a grand total of 4 days, and sold it to my neighbour b/c i didn't like the feel of the grip. after handling the m&p i felt like it's a glock for normal hands.

i fired 70 rounds of WWB and 10 rounds of Winchester PDX 165gr JHP's without any issues. the pistol fed, fired and ejected all rounds perfectly. my wife fired 10 of the rounds and like it as well. we both shot a little low for some reason. to best of my recollection, this is the first time we've ever shot a gun and been off of center in the same manner. i found i had to put the front site at 12 o'clock plus a smidge to get center hits. i couldn't shoot my P225 very well when i first got it, either, so it just might take some time to get used to it.

i tried all 3 backstraps and found all are acceptable, but medium seems best.

there didn't seem to be much muzzle flip, but the recoil wasn't pleasant. i had more rounds with me, but i can't say i was excited about firing another 50, but that's no unexpected with a borderline subcompact polymer .40.

i thought it was a little more accurate than my glock 27 at 15 yards, but less accurate at 5-10 yards. just my observation, so take that with a grain of salt.

i didn't have any issues with mag release and honestly don't see how anyone could be hitting it while firing.

below is a target for a little drill i run with all of my guns: 5 rounds at 5yds and 5 rounds at 7yds...firing at about a round per second or two. not too bad, but nowhere as good as i can do with my P229.

overall

misc note: the supertuck pictured below is a bonus $25 pickup i found at the gunshow in Nashville today. i was just about to put in an order for a new supertuck since i didn't have a carry holster for my m&p, and then i stumbled on this one. i even tried to get my friend to buy it first for his glock 27 (that's what the guy said it was made for). when he turned it down, i figured it might fit my m&p since they're so similar. went back, the guy let me try it out and after checking the imprint already in the leather, i could see it was actually made for the m&p. you can see the slant by the muzzle along with a round indentation that perfectly matches the last "tooth" on the light rail. fits great and saved me a little more than $50. i've also noticed the kydex is MUCH more fitted on this holster than on the other supertuck i have for my stoeger cougar.

_mg_0788.jpg

_mg_0787.jpg

_mg_0786.jpg

_mg_0785.jpg

_mg_0789.jpg

Edited by shspanthers
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bad shooting for the first time. A very good friend who was a sniper for 20 years in the marines gave me a tip once while shooting a compact. I was always low and had to aim high as you said. Because the gun grip is small you will grip it more then a larger gun, get a longer mag you can put an extension on and see if that helps. It did wonders for me.

Not bad shooting for the first time. A very good friend who was a sniper for 20 years in the marines gave me a tip once while shooting a compact. I was always low and had to aim high as you said. Because the gun grip is small you will grip it more then a larger gun, get a longer mag you can put an extension on and see if that helps. It did wonders for me.

i'll give that a try. i was already considering getting a x-grip which would allow me to use full size magazines in the compact.

x-grip-smith-wesson-m-amp-p-compact.htmlXGRIPgrp.jpg

x-grip-smith-wesson-m-amp-p-compact.html

Guest cheez
thanks! i'm not good, yet, but i'm getting better.

Making bullet holes touch IS good. You would be surprised to know the percentage of experienced shooters than cannot do that.