Restaurant Carry Bill

Guest oldfella

I have been through the bill and the amendments at least a hundred times already. But someone correct me if I am mistaken. The way I read according to the amendments on this bill, all they have to have is the circle/slash sign rather than the proper wording, or they can have wording similar to.... or both. Correct?

If that be the case, I got my new Droid phone, I will be taking pictures of all signs and posting them to my site along with business info etc. If you guys run across any, PM me the pic, address, business name and web address if they have one, and I will post those as well.

Correct Sir.

Amendment 1 to the bill - authorizes the use of the international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle as an alternative to the statutory signage language to prohibit the possession of firearms on the posted property.

Edited by adamween
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gun Geek
Things that make you go Hmmm...

Spoke to Sen Jackson's office and the young guy there says they are still waiting on the house to vote on it (SB3012)... After convincing him the bill had passed, he says they're waiting for the Gov to sign or veto the bill, didn't know anything about it going into law after 10 days w/o signature. When convinced of that he says the bill won't go into effect for 90 days...

Hmmm...

Amazing simply amazing.

Spoke to Sen Jackson's office and the young guy there says they are still waiting on the house to vote on it (SB3012)... After convincing him the bill had passed, he says they're waiting for the Gov to sign or veto the bill, didn't know anything about it going into law after 10 days w/o signature. When convinced of that he says the bill won't go into effect for 90 days...

Hmmm...

dumbass.jpg

Guest HexHead
I read the bill and it looks like it is scheduled to take effect July 1st. Is that wrong?

That was the wording in the original bill. The senate amendment said it becomes effective upon becoming law.

Hmmm...

wpngj.jpg

Guest HexHead

Hmmm...

Considering he got every other detail about the law wrong, I don't think we can believe his estimate of 90 days.

Looked at the timing of a bill with a similar outcome (gov allowed to become law without action), and with a similar enactment clause: HB 2681. It was sent to the Govs desk 4/22, and listed as "Returned by Governor without signature" on 5/5. If we apply that same timing to this bill, you get a date of 5/19 (tomorrow) for official posting of action. Now, HB 2681 goes on to indicate an effective date of 5/4, but no one would have known that until 5/5 (unless a press statement was made - in this case, I believe it wasn't made until 5/5 or later). Enrollment as Public Chapter X occurred about 1 week later (5/11, IIRC), which was also the time the effective date was actually first posted to the site.

So, with that math, it seems that TODAY may actually be the Gov's drop dead date for this action, and unless something appears in the press, it may not be posted until sometime tomorrow.

Guest friesepferd

aha! thanks. i was actually just about to go searching around for just that info.

thats alright. i dont plan on eating out anywhere till probably this weekend anyways, but still anxious to see it!

Guest friesepferd

i believe you to have an older version of the bill there.

Can anyone send a link to show the current full bill as passed?

I have the webpage info with summary, but not full bill

Guest Doc44

"Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow creeps in this petty pace from day to day......."

Billy Shakespeare must have had to deal with democrats back then too.

Doc44

Bills as amended do not appear on the state website - you gotta kinda piece them together by reading the individual amendments, and paying attention to which ones were attached and which ones were not. TNReb posted an excellent compilation earlier in this thread...by now, probably 15 pages back or so :screwy: I'm not aware of ever seeing any actual copy of the bill as passed.

I've kinda wondered all along about the date the clock actually starts... kinda like a bank deposit made after 2pm. That's not an uncommon practice with a lot of govt agencies, particularly a few large Federal ones I have some experience with.

SB3012 with all 3 senate amendments-

SENATE BILL 3012

By Jackson

AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39,

Chapter 17, Part 13; Section 57-3-204 and Section

57-4-203, relative to permitting or prohibiting the

carrying of firearms in certain places.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:

SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1305, is amended by

deleting the section in its entirety.

SECTION 2. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1321, is amended by

deleting subsection (:screwy: and by substituting instead the following:

(;) It is an offense for a person to possess a firearm if the person is both:

(1) Within the confines of an establishment open to the public

where liquor, wine or other alcoholic beverages, as defined in § 57-3-

101(a)(1)(A), or beer, as defined in § 57-6-102(1), are served for

consumption on the premises; and

(2) Consuming any alcoholic beverage listed in subdivision (1) of

this subsection (B).

©

(1) A violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(2) In addition to the punishment authorized by subdivision (1), if

the violation is of subsection (a), occurs in an establishment described in

subdivision (B)(1), and the person has a handgun permit issued pursuant

to § 39-17-1351, such permit shall be suspended in accordance with §

39-17-1352 for a period of three (3) years.

SECTION 3. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1359, is amended by

deleting the section in its entirety and substituting instead the following:

(a)

(1) An individual, corporation, business entity or local, state or

federal government entity or agent thereof is authorized to prohibit the

possession of weapons by any person who is at a meeting conducted by,

or on property owned, operated, or managed or under the control of the

individual, corporation, business entity or government entity.

(2) The prohibition in subdivision (1) shall apply to any person

who is authorized to carry a firearm by authority of § 39-17-1351.

(B)

(1) Notice of the prohibition permitted by subsection (a) shall be

accomplished by displaying one (1) or both of the notices described in

subdivision (3) in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily

used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property

or building where weapon possession is prohibited.

(2) The notice required by this section shall be in English, but a

duplicate notice may also be posted in any language used by patrons,

customers or persons who frequent the place where weapon possession

is prohibited.

(3)

(A) If a sign is used as the method of posting, it shall contain

language substantially similar to the following:

AS AUTHORIZED BY TCA § 39-17-1359, POSSESSION

OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY OR IN A

POSTED BUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A

CRIMINAL OFFENSE.

(B) As used in this section, “language substantially similar

to” means the sign contains language plainly stating that:

(1) Notice of the prohibition permitted by subsection (a) shall be accomplished

by displaying one (1) or both of the notices described in subdivision (3) in prominent

locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property,

building, or portion of the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited.

Either form of notice used shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person

entering the building, property, or portion of the building or property, posted.

(i) The property is posted under authority of Tennessee law;

(ii) Weapons or firearms are prohibited on the property, in the building, or on the portion of the property or

building that is posted; and

(iii) Possessing a weapon in an area that has been posted is a criminal offense.

© A building, property or a portion of a building or

property, shall be considered properly posted in accordance with

this section if one (1) or both of the following is displayed in

prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by

persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property

or building where weapon possession is prohibited:

(i) The international circle and slash symbolizing

the prohibition of the item within the circle; or

(ii) The posting sign described in this subdivision

(3).

©

(1) It is an offense to possess a weapon in a building or on

property that is properly posted in accordance with this section.

(2) Possession of a weapon on posted property in violation of this

section is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by fine only of five hundred

dollars ($500).

(d) Nothing in this section shall be construed to alter, reduce or eliminate

any civil or criminal liability that a property owner or manager may have for

injuries arising on their property.

(e) The provisions of this section shall not apply to title 70 regarding

wildlife laws, rules and regulations.

(f) This section shall not apply to the grounds of any public park, natural

area, historic park, nature trail, campground, forest, greenway, waterway or other

similar public place that is owned or operated by the state, a county, a

municipality or instrumentality thereof. The carrying of firearms in those areas

shall be governed by § 39-17-1311.

SECTION 4. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1351, is amended by

inserting the following between the fourth and fifth sentences of subsection (e):

Beginning September 1, 2010, and thereafter, a component of the

classroom portion of all department approved handgun safety courses shall be

instruction on alcohol and drugs, the effects of those substances on a person's

reflexes, judgment and ability to safely handle a firearm, and the provisions of §

39-17-1321.

SECTION 5. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 57-3-204, is amended by

deleting subsection (e) in its entirety.

SECTION 6. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 57-4-203, is amended by

deleting subsection (k) in its entirety.

SECTION 7. This act shall take effect upon becoming a law, the public welfare requiring it.

Edited by adamween
Guest stovepipe

Just got a call back from Todds office (they have caller ID, I didn't leave a message) The young lady was familiar with the bill but hadn't been monitoring it as closely as we have. She's going to confirm what the 10th business day is, and if it goes into effect on July 1 or when passed...

She says, with the Gov out of the country he can't (won't?) veto, so says it's a done deal regardless of the 10th Biz day.

She's to call me back with answers in a few mins, when Todd gets in the office. I told her I would post her answers here and maybe save her from having to field so many phone calls.

Guest HexHead
Looked at the timing of a bill with a similar outcome (gov allowed to become law without action), and with a similar enactment clause: HB 2681. It was sent to the Govs desk 4/22, and listed as "Returned by Governor without signature" on 5/5. If we apply that same timing to this bill, you get a date of 5/19 (tomorrow) for official posting of action. Now, HB 2681 goes on to indicate an effective date of 5/4, but no one would have known that until 5/5 (unless a press statement was made - in this case, I believe it wasn't made until 5/5 or later). Enrollment as Public Chapter X occurred about 1 week later (5/11, IIRC), which was also the time the effective date was actually first posted to the site.

So, with that math, it seems that TODAY may actually be the Gov's drop dead date for this action, and unless something appears in the press, it may not be posted until sometime tomorrow.

If the effective date of that law was 5/4, that would indicate the drop dead date was 5/3, which means the day it was transmitted to the governor was counted as the 1st day. In that case, yesterday was the drop dead date as the NRA indicated, and it should be effective today. They may notify us of it maybe sometime never, but it's still effective today.

I see what you're saying...depends on how the effective date is actually defined with relation to "the 10th day". Regardless, unless the Gov/staff decides to announce it in some manner today, we likely won't know until tomorrow. In the case of the bill I cited, the Gov actually returned a letter explaining his position along with the unsigned bill.

So, it seems the "unsigned" bill may be returned sometime today...we think.

Guest stovepipe

Okay, looks like the dark side is still at work on this bill...

The bill will go into effect as soon as it goes into law.

The Gov received the bill on May 6th, so the 10th BUSINESS day is the 20th.

The rumor that's going around Capital Hill is that the Gov's assistant is going to veto the bill sometime today.

If the rumor is true, I'm not sure if there is much we can do cept call the Govs office and respectfully object to the veto. The Govs Phone: 615.741.2001

Edited by stovepipe
Guest HexHead
Okay, looks like the dark side is still at work on this bill...

The bill will go into effect as soon as it goes into law.

The Gov received the bill on May 6th, so the 10th BUSINESS day is the 20th.

The rumor that's going around Capital Hill is that the Gov's assistant is going to veto the bill sometime today.

If the rumor is true, I'm not sure if there is much we can do cept call the Govs office and respectfully object to the veto. The Govs Phone: 615.741.2001

I found on another board that his assistant may be John Morgan. His number is 615.253.7700

Do we have a BS flag smilie? First of all, it's 10 days not including Sundays, there hasn't been a holiday. Not, 10 "business" days. You must be confusing this with the Apple Store shipping an iPad.

Second, there's no way the "governor's assistant" can veto legislation. At the best, when the governor is unavailable, the Lt. Governor can stand in his place, and I don't see Ramsey vetoing the bill.

I remember when Jerry Brown was the governor of CA back in the 70s, every time he left the state, Lt Gov. Mike Curb would sign legislation that there was no way Brown would have signed. It was pretty funny.

Guest stovepipe

Called the Gov and was transferred to their Legal Dept... Only the Gov can Veto... Thay have no news of a Veto, but the Gov has until midnight tonight to do so... Says to call back later today and they may have more info...

If he does not sign or veto, the bill will go into effect on the 20th.