Restaurant Carry Bill

Guest oldfella

Guest Sgt. Joe
If establishments start getting enough of theses cards then they will realise the business they are losing.

vkk21.jpg

I KNEW you would pop in with these cards again. I am going to contact that group and see how many they will send with a small donation. Then maybe buy some thru Vista print who I have used before and do a good job and in High Gloss abeit a bit high but you will get more cards than you will ever use.

Also one thing we are missing is that maybe just maybe some of the business' that have had the Ghost buster signs up just to appease the sheep may well take them down, Probably not a lot but I would think at least some would.

And while we may be a small percentage it is still the sqeaky wheel that gets the greese.....get the cards and use them, some folks may well get the message. And maybe even the common sense idea that a legal carrier in their place of business makes it safer.

I very rarely drink and can not afford to take the family out to eat very often so it dont effect me much anyway. But I do think including the ghost buster signs was a step backwards, but then again we did take a step forward of sorts by getting another bill passed rather quickly.

As for the ABC thing....does this mean TN may actually one day have a legally defined bar?

Also does not the Gov. have so many days to approve or veto and if the bill sits unsigned either way does it not become law after so many days?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead
Bredesen didn't veto the bill today that I can see. Does anyone know if he left for China already?

More importantly, does this mean we have our carry right back as of (on) Tuesday?

I KNEW you would pop in with these cards again. I am going to contact that group and see how many they will send with a small donation. Then maybe buy some thru Vista print who I have used before and do a good job and in High Gloss abeit a bit high but you will get more cards than you will ever use.

Also one thing we are missing is that maybe just maybe some of the business' that have had the Ghost buster signs up just to appease the sheep may well take them down, Probably not a lot but I would think at least some would.

And while we may be a small percentage it is still the sqeaky wheel that gets the greese.....get the cards and use them, some folks may well get the message. And maybe even the common sense idea that a legal carrier in their place of business makes it safer.

I very rarely drink and can not afford to take the family out to eat very often so it dont effect me much anyway. But I do think including the ghost buster signs was a step backwards, but then again we did take a step forward of sorts by getting another bill passed rather quickly.

As for the ABC thing....does this mean TN may actually one day have a legally defined bar?

Also does not the Gov. have so many days to approve or veto and if the bill sits unsigned either way does it not become law after so many days?

The bill will become law on May 18th if he does nothing. If he vetos it goes back to the house and senate for override which it will probably pass.

Guest HexHead

Well, Bredesen did leave for China yesterday, and I can't find anything about him vetoing the bill. This was in the Tennessean today...

Gov. Phil Bredesen traveled to China Friday with one of his top aides to attend the Shanghai World Expo.

A Bredesen spokeswoman said the governor considered canceling his trip, which extends until May 22, to stay in Tennessee to deal with flood recovery efforts. Ultimately, he chose to go forward with the trip, which also will be attended by Economic and Community Development Commissioner Matt Kisber.

"The flood recovery efforts are ongoing, and will be for a very long time," Bredesen spokeswoman Lydia Lenker said. "Local, state and federal agencies, and other non-governmental agencies are addressing the needs of those affected; those will continue next week."

Bredesen and Kisber will attend an investment roundtable with Chinese businesses interested in coming to the United States. They will also meet with Tennessee companies in Hong Kong and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam to discuss opportunities for local companies in Asia.

"It's important to keep building on the momentum we've created with our economic relationship with China, one of the world's largest economies," Lenker said. "The governor is committed to maintaining these ties, not only for the remainder of his administration, but for his successor's, as well."

Guest archerdr1
The bill will become law on May 18th if he does nothing. If he vetos it goes back to the house and senate for override which it will probably pass.
maybe you can clear something for me. I got two emails from the NRA saying that if he doesn't veto it by the 17th it becomes law. So is it the 17 or 18th?
Guest HexHead
I guess he could have affixed his veto, dated it, and handed it to an underling to submit in his absence on the last day?

Monday is the deadline. Friday, Monday, doesn't seem like it would make much difference now does it? The House has a floor session on Thursday, Senate's schedule isn't up yet past Tuesday.

Guest HexHead
maybe you can clear something for me. I got two emails from the NRA saying that if he doesn't veto it by the 17th it becomes law. So is it the 17 or 18th?

17th is the last day he can veto it. If he doesn't, it should become law at 12:01am on the 18th.

Monday is the deadline. Friday, Monday, doesn't seem like it would make much difference now does it? The House has a floor session on Thursday, Senate's schedule isn't up yet past Tuesday.

IF he has the veto presented in his absence, it would just be to pose as a petty, backhanded swipe at the supporters.

I am hoping rather, that he has given up on being an obstructionist to the implementation of the inevitability.

Plus, if he did veto, he forces some "Conservative" Democrats to chose whether to vote for the override, or just let it slide into oblivion, not raising the issue again. Political expediency would probably speak to him just letting it go, as he knows what the final outcome is going to be. Less damage to the Democrats.

By not declaring ahead of deadline, he gets to mess with us just a little longer, and that is all he can really do.

Edited by Worriedman
Guest HexHead
IF he has he veto presented in his absence, it would just be to pose as a petty, backhanded swipe at the supporters.

I am hoping rather, that he has given up on being an obstructionist to the implementation of the inevitability.

Plus, if he did veto, he forces some "Conservative" Democrats to chose whether to vote for the override, or just let it slide into oblivion, not raising the issue again. Political expediency would probably speak to him just letting it go, as he knows what the final outcome is going to be. Less damage to the Democrats.

By not declaring ahead of deadline, he gets to mess with us just a little longer, and that is all he can really do.

The flood and trip to China gives him political cover to just let it sit. "I had bigger fish to fry."

none of this matters now, if he sneaks in a veto it will be overridden and law by this time next week... no worries!

I believe you are right but I also hope that Bredesen has seen the writing on the wall and just allows it to become law without his signature. Either way it will become law so you are correct, it doesn't matter.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I guess it depends on if the 6th is counted as one day since that was the day it was 'transmitted to governor for action'. If it is 10 days meaning ten 24 hour periods then the first day might technically be considered the 7th which would mean that he has until midnight on the 18th to do something. I am guessing my butt of on this though so don't take that info to the bank.

Guest HexHead
I "think" he has to veto it today, otherwise it becomes law tomorrow (12:01am)

NRA email said he had to veto it by today, the 17th. If you count the day he got it, May 6th as the 1st day, today's the end of the 10 day window.

You'd have to count the day it went to his desk as he had access to it all that day.

NRA email said he had to veto it by today, the 17th. If you count the day he got it, May 6th as the 1st day, today's the end of the 10 day window.

You'd have to count the day it went to his desk as he had access to it all that day.

The NRA e-mail is what I was going by as well.

Hmmm...however, it may not be 12:01 am that it would be in effect. TCA 3-2-104 says after the 10 days is up the Speakers of the House and Senate have to sign it (again).

3-2-104. Failure of governor to return.

If, while the general assembly remains in session, the governor fails to return any bill, joint resolution, or order, with objections, within ten (10) days (Sundays excepted) after it has been presented to the governor, it shall be the duty of the committee on enrolled bills of that house wherein such bill, joint resolution, or order originated to cause the bill, joint resolution, or order forthwith to be reenrolled; and the same shall thereupon be signed by the respective speakers of each house, who shall annex and sign the following certificate:

Click to view form

Of course there is no reason to think they wouldn't do that ASAP.

Guest uofmeet

So, I may be able to go to a restaurant,that serves alcohol, with my gun tomorrow as long as it is not posted and i don't drink?

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Funny how this time there just isn't as much 'woohooing' about this bill passing. Perhaps most people are like me and are still feeling burned from the lawsuits last year and wonder how long we will have this 'right' this year before some yahoo takes it away again.

Funny how this time there just isn't as much 'woohooing' about this bill passing. Perhaps most people are like me and are still feeling burned from the lawsuits last year and wonder how long we will have this 'right' this year before some yahoo takes it away again.

I think it's more of the fact that everyone recognizes that this bill, while a step forward, has some pretty big compromises built into it...

Guest uofmeet

well, I didn't get my permit til this past February or so, So I didn't get to experience the last bill. But I am looking forward to this one. Ever since I got my permit, i have been looking at no gun signs, legal or not, as people that do not want my money.