Best modern gun for quick draw?

Guest Chandler

Guest Chandler

Just curious what everyone thinks is a good gun for shooting from the hip and accurate , as well as being ergonomic enough for fast draw. I know that there are some revolvers that are classic and can be modified to help , but I was just curious what you guys think really is the best auto gun to draw. Granted I dont not have any real knowledge of the sport or hobby , but I was just rolling this question around.

thoughts?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruger Vaquero is the only way to go. Note...fast draw fanning is very, very bad for a gun unless you are willing to have it modified/have it repaired frequently. The cylinder star and the pawl/hand clash. Also run the risk of jumping cylinder stop and shooting out of time.

Can be done, but you need to get in with a CAS group to get the name of a smith who can set one up for you.

Guest bart_p

HK P7 is by far the winner of this competition. Pair it with a good kydex appendix carry rig and no one will be able to keep up. They are also probably the best concealment pistol ever designed.

Bart

Guest Jamie

I'm kind'a curious to see how this one goes, 'cause I have never found an autoloader that clears leather as fast or as well as the traditional SAA design, or copy thereof ( Ruger single-actions, for instance ).

The shape of the autos just seems to be all wrong, with the rear of the slide/frame overhanging the grip and getting in the way of a fast draw.

Modern DA revolvers are a little better, but still can't compete with the SAAs though.

And I think if I tried "quick draw" with a Glock, I'd probably have an awful lot of really low shots for the first few hundred draws. :eek:

And my natural tendency to bring the left hand over to sweep back the hammer for the second shot would probably cause some consternation too. :D

A 1911 works about as well for me as any auto does, but it's still a lot of work to get right... But that probably has to do with me using single-action revolvers for so long. :D

Still gotta remember to avoid getting the left hand bit by the slide as well.

J.

Guest FroggyOne2

If you study up some on the favored quick draw guns.. it is a an older Ruger small frame SAA 3 screw .357.. converted to .45 LC and a Alum barrel..

Why not the TAURUS "GAUCHO"? single action revolver, and factory says it was made for "fanning"/speed firing. so there ya go, if it breaks, taurus will honnor it cuz of the fanning thing. i believe 95% of other manuf. dont.

Just a thought

I'm guessing that if Wyatt Earp grew up shooting Glocks, everybody would be dissecting which particular model is best suited for quick draw. I think shooting from the hip is unnatural and requires a lot of practice for any particular pistol. Anyways, we all know what the best quick draw gun is:

han+solo+blaster.jpg

A C96 Mauser modified to shoot red thingies. To be really quick, you need a custom rig. And green aliens named Greedo to practice on.

Guest Jamie
I'm guessing that if Wyatt Earp grew up shooting Glocks, everybody would be dissecting which particular model is best suited for quick draw.

Maybe not, given that Wyatt is usually shown by Hollywood as preferring a 12-inch barreled "Buntline" Colt.

And I don't think anybody is gonna win a quick-draw contest with one of those. :D

J.

Guest rabidrhino
HK P7 is by far the winner of this competition. Pair it with a good kydex appendix carry rig and no one will be able to keep up. They are also probably the best concealment pistol ever designed.

Bart

Would never have thought of that Bart, but I think you may be right. Never tried that with mine, but great choice.

Guest bart_p
Would never have thought of that Bart, but I think you may be right. Never tried that with mine, but great choice.

Just look at the design. That thing just screams speed and accuracy. It has a fixed barrel and is possibly the most accurate and natural pointing 9mm ever mass produced. Then you have the trigger that I say beats all but the top tier 1911's. It has no buttons/levers to hang up on (except for the takedown button that is almost not noticeable). It is short and compact, but still retains a full size 9mm round/barrel combination. I think there are videos on YouTube of people quick-drawing the P7. It is insanely fast.

Bart