Turkey hunting with a 20 gauge

Guest Joey

Yes, I know I really should be carrying a 12 gauge but by the time I'll have the money saved up for that, Spring season will be over. I own a single shot New England Firearms Pardner model 20 gauge.

I'm wondering what kind of ammo I should take for turkey hunting with a chokeless 20 gauge. I've read a lot of good things about the Flightcontrol ammo. Is it worth it? It's been a long time since I've shot this gun and I plan on going through at least a box of ammo for practice before I take it out in the woods. And I don't want to spend a lot of money on ammo if it's not worth it.

Also, it's my first time turkey hunting as if you couldn't tell. Any general advice on turkey hunting would be appreciated!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Jcochran88, shoot the longest shell it can hold, and get a turkey specific load in 5 or 6 shot. If your gun in chambered for 2 3/4" then just get those. Lets face it all the equipment in the world cant kill a turkey without the hunter doing the work. So if you have a 20 gauge just know your limits. How close does the bird have to be to kill and not wound.

Here's what I'd do. Go buy some shells, get a cardboard target(or turkey silhouette) . Shoot from 10, 20, 30, 40 yds. See how the pellets cover your aiming point. Once you dont have a good coverage over a spot the size of a turkeys head, thats your distance limit.

You can kill a turkey with a .410 but he'd just have to be close. And dont worry shooting isnt the hard part, its getting the bird to come in to begin with. Good Luck

And dont worry shooting isnt the hard part, its getting the bird to come in to begin with. Good Luck

Exactly.

So far this year I would have done just as good with a 20ga as I have with my 12ga. Heck, I would have done just as good with an unloaded BB gun.

I've got a brother in law that only uses a 20 Guage. He started out using a old Rem. model 41 that used to belong to his uncle. He saw that he liked using a 20 and stuck with it. He did say though that 30 yards or so is his limit. He shot one once at about 40 and it flew off a ways and died. He found it though. I would find shells with the most shot and use them. Preferably 3" mags. with #5 or #6 shot.

Get a couple of turkey loads and pattern them. You can use the 20ga. Pardner, but I would recommend keeping the shots to within 25 yards. My daughter uses an Undertaker choke in her 20ga and I make her keep shots within 30 yards.

Just call them in close and you will be fine. Hunting with a .410 is better than not hunting at all. Just remember your limits.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Like most here have said, 20Ga will be fine, but you will have to be a little closer - 25yrds or under most likely. Pattern different loads and go with what works best - especially with an open choke (did I read that right?). I have a couple of 20Gauges that work fine but they each pattern a little differently and work better/worse with different types of shells. If it is a 2&3/4 inch chamber then you will have a much harder time finding good Turkey loads than you will if it has a 3" chamber.

• 9 months later...
Guest GunTroll

Your 20 pardner will also be easier to hold up in the shooting position for extended periods of time which you soon find out about. I often think of going down to a 20ga but in a pump. Lighter guns are better in ways.

Have fun and get ready for school!

I have a Mossburg 835 turkey gun that has a turkey choke from hell on it. Since feral hogs aren't going to be legal to hunt this year, I guess I'll dust it off and try turkey hunting this year instead of hog hunting with bow. You should be fine with your 20 guage. Practice alot and pick your shots well!