Safe In The Garage (Bad Idea?)

I know what safe I want to buy. Space is a concern so I want to know if putting it in the garage a bad idea for the care of the guns. I am interested in responses related to humidity first and foremost. I am less concerned with issues of concealment and theft.

Edit:

Garage is attached

Garage is not climate controlled.

Edited by D3vo
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Billetproof

Is the garage connected to the house? Insulated? Heated? Those are the big issues. If the answers are yes, then no it shouldn't be a problem. The biggest issue then is visibility to the world when your garage door is open. Anchor it to the floor and build a closet around it. If the answers are no, then I wouldn't do it. Condensation will be a real bear to control with the temperatures going on in there. Hope this helps.

Guest coldblackwind

If its not a temperature controlled garage, don't do it. Humidity will be a problem, which will make rust a problem.

If its not a temperature controlled garage, don't do it. Humidity will be a problem, which will make rust a problem.

A "goldenrod" type device will prevent any humidity or rust problems in an unheated garage. You don't have to heat the garage if you heat the interior of the safe.

I have had my safe in the garage for 12 years+ now. I have one of the safes from Mark at the 'Safe House' and it has the plug-in rod. Rust has never been an issue. When I moved and built a new house 2 years ago, he stored it for me and then delivered and set it up in my new house. The outside walls are insulated very well, but I do not have hvac in there. Things seem to be fine and I do have the rod plugged in.

I would call and ask Mike at at the Safe House and ask (the Safe House delivered my new Browning Copper series two weeks ago today!). Mike can easily tell you what the pros and cons are of putting the safe in the garage.

Personally I think you should avoid putting the safe in the garage if possible - security concerns aside, the more controlled the environment the better off the contents of the safe will be whether the contents are firearms, papers or whatever.