Sign Question

I noticed in the 'Carry Prohibited Locations' thread someone posted that Cheddar's in Alcoa has the old 'Misdemeanor' sign posted. I'm not sure I would consider that a 'posted' restaurant or even an attempt at 'posting' under the new law.

That sign has been posted in most restaurants that serve liquor in at least one place for years (although places that served only beer were pretty 'lax' about posting it, making it difficult to tell if some of them served or not - which was one problem I had with the old law.) I think that was just 'standard procedure'. Further, those signs remained up last year during the short time that we could legally carry under the first restaurant carry law because they still applied to everyone else, just not HCP holders. As Cheddar's opened before the new law went into place, it would be reasonable to think they would have posted that sign just as a matter of the aforementioned 'standard procedure'.

I don't want to (and spend money) where I am not wanted so I wouldn't carry past a 'No Guns' sign as that is an obvious (although not legally posted) attempt to keep HCP holders out (well, our firearms, anyway - which, to me, means keeping me out, too.) The intent behind posting the old 'Misdemeanor' sign, though, might have nothing at all to do with that and simply be part of normal practice for all restaurants that serve liquor under the old law. I'm bringing this up because that sign has been and still is posted in many restaurants that serve but I don't think the intent is necessarily the same as posting a circle/slash or properly worded sign (or even a 'No Guns' sign.)

Thoughts?

Edited by JAB
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right on a few counts...

Those signs never constituted (and still don't) constitute a legal posting. They were simply to be informative of the consequences of illegal carry.

They were required by law to be displayed in places that served and sold alchohol until this new bill removed that requirment. I doubt there was a mad rush to remove them after the law passed.

The only thing that makes me wonder about it at Cheddar's is the location. Everyplace I have ever seen the sign in the past it was in a out of the way place.

So in short, No it's not a legal posting, but whether it is their attempt at one or not....can't say for sure.

Guest tnxdshooter

Cheddars posted? When? Last time I was in there a year or so ago in Cookeville I didnt notice a sign and I didnt notice one three years ago when I was at the one in Bristol.

Guest HvyMtl

That is the old, no longer applicable, law.

If it does not meet the posting requirements under the new law, it is not posted.

In some cases, asking the manager will get a posting when one was not thought of before. Careful how you ask.