A little trouble with the Mosin

I finally made it out to Norris yesterday and got to shoot my Mosin for the first time. I had a couple of issues I hope someone can help me diagnose. First, the bottom of the magazine would fly open when I shot. I had to slide my left hand back and use the heel of my hand to hold it closed. Second, sometimes the next round would not rise quite far enough so that when I tried to close the bolt the round would be pushed down at the front instead of up into the chamber. I am thinking one of the magazine springs is weak. Hey, I'm not near 85 years old and I am weak. Any thoughts? (on the Mosin, not me):(

By the way, it was a beautiful day at Norris. After the first few minutes I had the place to my self.

Glenn

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

is the magazine clean?

any cosmoline on the mag latch or spring?

Also how you load rounds into the mag might cause a round to not advance properly. The rim on each round needs to be in front of the rim on the round that has gone into the mag previously. If not, the rounds will not feed properly.

Ahh. That might very well be the feeding problem. It seems obvious now that you pointed it out, but then things often do:shrug:

I have looked closely at the latch/ The latch itself looks like it might be ok but the place it hooks on the bottom of the magazine seems worn. I might try just bending the latch forward a tiny bit.

Glenn

Guest nathan362

If bending that latch forward doesnt work you can try to get another floorplate of ebay or something. Of course if all the numbers match, that would suck, but you could keep the old one around if your worried about it. Let us know how it turns out!