getting thrown in to remind us of times past and does nothing to improve

the human condition. When people lead by example, their example gets

noticed and their example is what they get graded by. Divisive talk does

nothing but divide. I don't see myself as a racist at all, but I keep hearing

the word used at every turn and it bothers me that their are people that

only want to live in the past.

I have pointed out several times many blacks that I would gladly vote for

because of their ideas, not what some perceive are hidden in the backs of

their minds that may cause divisiveness.

Living in the past will prevent future generations from enjoying this great

country and will only allow a despotic form of government to destroy

what we all cherish.

The NAACP would do well to advance a cause of what's laid out in the

constitution, instead of playing one race against the other. We are all

part of this country. It's about time that was accepted and get on the

bandwagon of keeping this country going in the right direction.

See below for a good example by MLK

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils
This is the problem with "RACISM" in current times as I see it. Too many people from one point of view, want to see racism everywhere they look and use it as an excuse for not being able to get ahead. At the same time, too many people from another point of view choose to keep their eyes closed and not recognize racism unless it is draped in a white hood and burning a cross.

Hi Peace

Long ago worked at various social work and counseling. The prevalent view-- When people are hung up or unhappy it is beneficial to help them to talk it out and discover solutions.

That may be true, but another view is that counseling serves to reinforce unhappiness.

Skinnerian operant learning principles experimentally demonstrate that 'positively reinforced' rewarded behaviors become more statistically likely. When you encourage people to talk about problems, it can magnify the fixation on problems. By that reasoning, if you somehow minimize negative thinking, speech and behavior, then eventually folks forget about it and move on to more useful thoughts and behaviors. Ignore bad speech and reward good speech.

Traditional psychotherapy would predict that repression festers hangups. But that traditional idea is not necessarily correct.

Just sayin-- The encouragement of frequent and open discussion about bigotry (racism being a subset of bigotry)-- May not be beneficial. It may work out better if people just try to be polite and behave as fair as possible. Avoid belaboring the matter.

Only confront abuses so aggregious that they must be confronted-- Militant or overt discrimination which causes actual real world harm. Not just hurt feelings, minior resentments, or discomfort not knowing how to interact with folks having different customs.

It could make people more unhappy when race discussion becomes more frequent and open. Holder's assertion that people are cowards discussing race-- That's OK, but on the other hand if you ask somebody's opinion, it is a good idea to be prepared to hear opinions that might make you mad or hurt yer feelings. If I don't want to get mad or get my feelings hurt, then maybe it is better not to ask certain questions.

Take some person who is convinced that Holder is inferior solely on the basis of skin color-- If Holder asks that fellow an honest opinion, is it gonna make Holder feel any better to hear an honest answer?

Additionally, 'minor bigots' of all stripes do not obsess on bigotry. A minor bigot who usually thinks about paying the bills or mowing the lawn or whatever-- Discussing race topics might only remind closet bigots and reinforce racist attitudes. "Well gee, I hadn't thought about it lately, but now that you ask…"

Guest peacexxl

Lester, if I read what you are saying correctly, then I agree to the point that hurt feelings and name calling do not constitute a national emergency. If I lived my life worrying about everyone who might not like me or didn't think I was deserving of something I had that they didn't, I wouldn't get anything done and would also be a piss poor example to my kids. At the same time, I do believe that "Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it". That is not to say that race or racism should be the leading cause for every American, but I think to many people who don't feel that it affects them just don't care about it and think that those that do are mostly just trouble makers. So what happens in the best case is that people who do feel it is an important issue try to keep awareness alive and begin to come off as wingnuts themselves, and worst case, it opens the door for some people to take what is a legitamate issue when handled properly, and turn it into a career. Also, I think the truth is that some people are hyper-sensitive and others are completely numb to the issue. So it's hard to say who is a minor bigot and who is just more subversive, or on the other hand, who is just a cantakerous ass and doesn't really like anyone regardless of their back ground.

All that said, and true enough, I have done plenty to stir this pot ... I joined this forum to talk about guns and maybe gun rights so I am gonna move on from the topic and leave it to the experts.

Guest Lester Weevils
Lester, if I read what you are saying correctly, then I agree to the point that hurt feelings and name calling do not constitute a national emergency. If I lived my life worrying about everyone who might not like me or didn't think I was deserving of something I had that they didn't, I wouldn't get anything done and would also be a piss poor example to my kids. At the same time, I do believe that "Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it". That is not to say that race or racism should be the leading cause for every American, but I think to many people who don't feel that it affects them just don't care about it and think that those that do are mostly just trouble makers. So what happens in the best case is that people who do feel it is an important issue try to keep awareness alive and begin to come off as wingnuts themselves, and worst case, it opens the door for some people to take what is a legitamate issue when handled properly, and turn it into a career. Also, I think the truth is that some people are hyper-sensitive and others are completely numb to the issue. So it's hard to say who is a minor bigot and who is just more subversive, or on the other hand, who is just a cantakerous ass and doesn't really like anyone regardless of their back ground.

All that said, and true enough, I have done plenty to stir this pot ... I joined this forum to talk about guns and maybe gun rights so I am gonna move on from the topic and leave it to the experts.

Hi Peace

Those are good points. I don't think you are stirring the pot too much, and apologize if I gave that impression.

Was just wondering if maybe it is better to let sleeping dogs lie, and not open any cans of worms unless it is absolutely necessary to open them. But I don't make any claim to being correct about it.

People seem naturally inclined to bigotry. It is doubtful that we could find any person completely free of some flavor of bigotry. So that can of worms seems to naturally invite dispute about what kinds of bigotry are more or less egregious.

As you say, the interpretation of 'minor bigotry' involves a certain amount of mind-reading. One never knows how bigotry affects a person's actions, except by speculation. People of good will can try to rise above bigotry, and behave fair in spite of bigotry. It can be difficult because one's own bigotry tends to be invisible. Everyone tends to have a self-image of pure logic, sweetness and light. Even the really twisted specimens see themselves as logical and of good will. It is easier to see bigotry in other people.

For instance, it would not be extreme mind-reading to see at least slight bigotry in Obama, against white people, brits, rich capitalists, jews, police, military, and hicks. I wouldn't theorize how deep the bigotry goes or how well he rises above it, but the signs seem to be there. Or maybe not. Maybe I'm all wet on the issue.

The bigotry against hicks seems to be ingrained in most of the hollywood people and 'educated intelligensia' of the class Obama prefers to rub elbows with.

Edited by Lester Weevils