Bill would allow Legislature's sergeants-at-arms to carry guns

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/T/TN_XGR_ARMED_SERGEANTS_AT_ARMS_TNOL-?SITE=TNJAC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Sergeants-at-arms in the Tennessee General Assembly would be allowed to carry guns under legislation being proposed by a Senate Republican.

Raymond Finney of Maryville says the legislation is necessary to protect visitors and members of the General Assembly.

Under the legislation, "special" sergeants-at-arms would be appointed by speakers of the House and Senate and vested with police powers while on official duty.

They would be required to have a handgun permit and undergo training if necessary.

Finney says the legislation is needed because of recent shootings in schools and other public places. Both the Capitol and Legislative Plaza already have metal detectors and armed police who guard entrances and patrol the grounds.

-----------------------

Here is the bill I found SB2696

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finney says the legislation is needed because of recent shootings in schools and other public places.

So in order to protect themselves in a place that already has cops and metal detectors they want armed guards in the chambers but my kids can't get the same protection from me when I take them to or from school. Or when I visit the campus, and I can't get the same protection for my self (by being able to protect myself) when I take a class at the University of Memphis. Remember, there was a shooting there recently and one of America's Most Wanted was captured on campus recently.

Thanks, Mr. Finney. I hope we can expect your support for SB0023.

Mr. Finney. I hope we can expect your support for SB0023.

Maybe it is a sign of acceptance to possession of firearms. I expect rather though it is more of the same old bull where the ruling class is afforded a broader scope to protect themselves than us common folks.

...but my kids can't get the same protection from me when I take them to or from school. Or when I visit the campus...

I know you can have your gun with/on you when you pick up or drop off kids from school and it is also my understanding that you can also leave your gun in your car while on school property. You just can't handle the gun WHILE you are on school property.

I have never been to the statehouse in Nashville, but I have a feeling there are legal no guns signs that would keep those of use with permits from legally carrying and metal detectors definitely keeps us out with a handgun. How about just taking down the signs if there are any and telling the capitol police to let those with a carry permit through the metal detectors with a handgun? There is no law in TN that prohibits those with permits in state owned buildings.

Guest canynracer
So in order to protect themselves in a place that already has cops and metal detectors they want armed guards in the chambers but my kids can't get the same protection from me when I take them to or from school. Or when I visit the campus, and I can't get the same protection for my self (by being able to protect myself) when I take a class at the University of Memphis. Remember, there was a shooting there recently and one of America's Most Wanted was captured on campus recently.

+1....

Guest bluecanary25

Razorback,

I need to check to see if it is still in effect, but there is/was a law prohibiting firearms in the Legislative Plaza and second floor of the Capital. Hence, the metal detectors.

Give me a day or two, to get the references and check.

Razorback,

I need to check to see if it is still in effect, but there is/was a law prohibiting firearms in the Legislative Plaza and second floor of the Capital. Hence, the metal detectors.

Give me a day or two, to get the references and check.

I'm not saying there isn't, but if there is...it's not in Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13 where other places that are off limits are.

But....last time I was at the captial seems there was some type of no gun sign...and 39-17-1359 does allow goverments to keep old signs if they were posted prior to July 1, 2001 and in substantial compliance.

Guest Halfpint

...+2

Guest bluecanary25

Razorback and Fallguy, It is under TCA § 39-17-1359.

Modified to indicate where weapons are prohibited, as stated earlier.

Signs are posted on elevators to the Plaza, very well posted.

Razorback and Fallguy, It is under TCA § 39-17-1359.

Modified to indicate where weapons are prohibited, as stated earlier.

Signs are posted on elevators to the Plaza, very well posted.

Most on this forum are aware of T.C.A. 39-17-1359 which allows any property owner, private or goverment, to post signs to prevent weapons from being carried on their property. I thought from your previous post that you said there was a law that prevented weapons from being carried on the capital grounds without a sign having to be posted. Just like (for now) a bar does not have to post a sign beacause it is illegal to carry by statute.

I know you can have your gun with/on you when you pick up or drop off kids from school and it is also my understanding that you can also leave your gun in your car while on school property. You just can't handle the gun WHILE you are on school property.

well thats stupid. so if someone goes postal and you have to shoot them, they can prosecute YOU if they choose to.

*sigh* sounds to me like they're making sure they're well protected while they "legislate the rabble".

I say they should be afforded the same protection that our children in school have.

Many legislators don't care to take responsibility for their own protection. why do so when they can spend taxpayers money to ensure that they're safe?

"I'm an important,busy man" only gets you so far before my BS detector starts going off.

By handle in that particular situation I think it means not moving it around in your vehicle, loading-unloading it or the like. If you needed to use it in self defense you should be ok.

Also even though I don't think it applies to the above situation (in that you are legal to start with) there is a safe harbor, as some have called it, statute.

T.C.A. 39-17-1322

A person shall not be charged with or convicted of a violation under this part if the person possessed, displayed or employed a handgun in justifiable self-defense or in justifiable defense of another during the commission of a crime in which that person or the other person defended was a victim.