Insurance after use of a firearm??

Guest Dusty Rhodes

Guest Dusty Rhodes

Most, if not all Homeowners policies exculde any coverage against liability for use of a firearm.I looked into the NRA coverage and was really disappointed with what they had to offer. Someone, I thought, mentioned another carrier which was about 1/3 the cost of the NRA coverage. Anyone know of another carrier??

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39-11-622. Justification for use of force — Exceptions — Immunity from civil liability. —

(a) (1) A person who uses force as permitted in §§ 39-11-611 — 39-11-614 or § 29-34-201, is justified in using such force and is immune from civil liability for the use of such force, unless:

(A) The person against whom force was used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in § 39-11-106 who:

(i) Was acting in the performance of the officer's official duties; and

(ii) Identified the officer in accordance with any applicable law; or

(iii) The person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person was a law enforcement officer; or

(:P The force used by the person resulted in property damage to or the death or injury of an innocent bystander or other person against whom the force used was not justified.

(B) The court shall award reasonable attorney's fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by a person in defense of any civil action brought against the person based upon the person's use of force, if the court finds that the defendant was justified in using such force pursuant to §§ 39-11-611 — 39-11-614 or § 29-34-201.

[Acts 2007, ch. 210, § 3.]

http://michie.lexisnexis.com/tennessee/lpext.dll/tncode/e501/e5c7/e680/e6cf?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm&2.0#JD_39-11-622

I pretty much rely on me acting within the law and the law covering me as well.

However even if you do fire at the BG entering your house it is possible for a round to go by them and hit an unattended target. If that is the case 39-11-622 will not protect you. See part (:P.

I have tried to do a search for such insurance but have not had any luck. If you really want this type of coverage Dusty I hope you can find it at reasonable cost.

No one offers insurance for a willful act.

True.

Just like if you intentionally wreck your car or burn it, the insurance will not pay. But if you are intentionally driving and accidently hit a tree, run into the ditch etc.... they will cover you.

So even if you intentionally fire your weapon, I believe there is insurance to cover you if you hit an unintentional target.

I believe there is insurance to cover you if you hit an unintentional target.

In my class say repeatedly said there was not. I will see if I can find my folder of info and add anything to it from that.