Pistol class

Guest carbonarcher

Guest carbonarcher

So, I go to my certification class.... Great class!( I am no newbie to firearms,that being said) finish up the classroom portion of the class and we all have to go to our cars to get our pistols(if we brought our own). Then we are told to open our cases so they can inspect the pistols to ensure that they are safe, they of course want them slide back and revolvers open.

Now, we just got finished with class, and talking about remembering where we are pointing our pistols, I am observing this gentlemen, with a brand new chrome plated and gold accented berretta. He can't seem to get the slide to lock open, I am standing next to him watching him fumble with this pistol, this is going on for,,, oh I would say maybe a minute or two. He still can't seem to get it. Finially, I looked at him with his muzzle waving all around, do you need help? just as I asked, he locks it back. Now I am thinking to myself, this guy is going to carry a pistol? WOW? I was one of the first to qualify on the range, so I was gone. I never did find out if this guy did qualify. I just can't help thinking, is this guy going to be profiencet with a pistol, or is he going to hurt someone.

Just had to vent!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a carry permit class in Memphis at an indoor range I guess about 11 years ago. The name of the range illudes me at the moment. Anyway, there was a women around 70 I would guess. She was a robbery victim and thought it was time to get a permit. She couldn't even hit the target without someone stabilizing the pistol for her. She borrowed a .38 from the range and told us that was her first time shooting. I had to rent a gun too, because it was the week before my 21st birthday. I turned in my paperwork and purchased my first carry gun on my 21st birthday.

Guest tnxdshooter

Heck it wouldnt surprise me. My buddy has a carry permit and shot a hole in his kitchen floor because he didnt keep his finger off the trigger until pointed down range. LOL He went to take the weapon out and clear it and then clean it and I guess forgot a round was in the chamber he pulled the trigger it went off and I dove for cover LOL.

Well at least they know enough to get instruction. If Haslum had his way he would do away with the Permit altogether.

His name is Haslam, and that is not at all what he said. He said "if" the General Assembly voted to abandon the permitting process, he would sign it, BUT his preference would be to leave the process the way it is currently in place.

Misinformation and half-truths like this one are a major pet peeve of mine. Vote for who you want, but make sure you know what they really said, and what you are talking about instead of just repeating what you "heard".

Guest rsgillmd
So, I go to my certification class.... Great class!( I am no newbie to firearms,that being said) finish up the classroom portion of the class and we all have to go to our cars to get our pistols(if we brought our own). Then we are told to open our cases so they can inspect the pistols to ensure that they are safe, they of course want them slide back and revolvers open.

Now, we just got finished with class, and talking about remembering where we are pointing our pistols, I am observing this gentlemen, with a brand new chrome plated and gold accented berretta. He can't seem to get the slide to lock open, I am standing next to him watching him fumble with this pistol, this is going on for,,, oh I would say maybe a minute or two. He still can't seem to get it. Finially, I looked at him with his muzzle waving all around, do you need help? just as I asked, he locks it back. Now I am thinking to myself, this guy is going to carry a pistol? WOW? I was one of the first to qualify on the range, so I was gone. I never did find out if this guy did qualify. I just can't help thinking, is this guy going to be profiencet with a pistol, or is he going to hurt someone.

Just had to vent!

I had a hard time operating the slide of the guns (I tried two) I rented, but I didn't wave it all around. I hadn't fired a gun before that class. When I went to Range USA to get fingerprinted I asked to handle some guns that I was interested in getting. The gentleman at the counter there paid a little more attention to what I was doing when he noticed I was struggling with the slide. I was placing my hand at the rear of the gun. Just by moving my hand forward a little, as he suggested, I was able to operate the slide easily. While I'm not weak, I'm hardly the strongest person.

So while I agree that waving it around would be disconcerting to folks nearby, the solution to the problem may be very simple. He just needs a instructor to watch him a little more closely.

Guest tnxdshooter

At most places I know he would have been kicked out of the class for safety issues and his money more than likely not refunded for that kind of stupidity and utter disregard for others safety. Heck in my permit class a dude nearly got kicked out because we werent supposed to have any ammo in the class room and dude comes in and it comes time to get our guns out to practice and he opens the slide on his to set the gun on the table and out pops a round. The instructor got mad and that feller was nearly gone from the class.

A few years back my friends father, about 80 years old, went to get his permit. I don't remember where. When it came to the shooting portion of the test, my friends father could not see well enough to hit the target. The instructor ended up aiming and my friends father would pull the trigger. The instructor stated," we've never had anyone fail this class and you aren't going to be the first. They passed him. SCARY

Guest tnxdshooter
A few years back my friends father, about 80 years old, went to get his permit. I don't remember where. When it came to the shooting portion of the test, my friends father could not see well enough to hit the target. The instructor ended up aiming and my friends father would pull the trigger. The instructor stated," we've never had anyone fail this class and you aren't going to be the first. They passed him. SCARY

Ummm yeah that is scary very scary and shady also.