Woo Hoo! New Member of the Family!

Guest Len

Hey all!

Just wanted to introduce the newest member of my family. Picked her up this afternoon at Guns & Leather:

Ruger_New_Model_Blackhawk.JPG

What we have here is a Ruger New Model Blackhawk single action in .45acp/.45 colt.

All the specs are here: http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=463&return=Y

Mine is blued, with a 5.5" barrel, rosewood grips and the convertible option. (This means the revolver comes with two cylinders, one in .45 acp, and one in .45 colt. They change in about 30 seconds or less, no tools required. I have no idea how to tell them apart, they are unmarked except for the last 3 digits of the gun's SN.) Can't wait to break 'er in.

I was in the market for a Vaquero, but the Blackhawk handled better in my hands, felt better-balanced, and produced a quicker, clearer sight picture for me. Only drawback is the caliber. The Vaquero was in .357 magnum, which of course would have allowed for much less expensive shooting.

I've always liked the look of a good-sized SA revolver, and that Cowboy Action shooting looks like tons of fun. Gonna head down to Wartrace once the weather is better and watch one of their matches.

When I first started getting interested in firearms, I snubbed my nose at revolvers. But as of today, I now have more wheel guns than semi-autos. :P

Edited by Len
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

beautiful revolver there Len. IMHO Ruger makes great single action six guns. Mine is just a .22 but it will last a lifetime or two or more just as yours will.

Excellent purchase!

You know if you reloaded .45's you can do them for about a dime per round.

Congratulations

You will really enjoy it. I have one too and also would like to have one in .357. Stainless this time I think. In looking at the pic I did not notice the billboard usually printed on the side. In case you were wondering how old your blackhawk is you can go to Ruger's website and date it.

A buddy went with me and he bought a stainless in .357. He's a happy camper and negotiated himself a discount for paying cash. He's already planning new grips, etc. Mine was made in July, 2006. B)

Congratulations

You will really enjoy it. I have one too and also would like to have one in .357. Stainless this time I think. In looking at the pic I did not notice the billboard usually printed on the side. In case you were wondering how old your blackhawk is you can go to Ruger's website and date it.

Guest Mugster

I've got one, its a nice piece. The acp cylinder headspaces off the end of the casing. Therefore, it has ridges about the length of a .45 acp case down in the cylinder to hold them in there. You can see them if you hold a flashlight up and look down in there. That is why it does not need clips or anything.

My only beef is i wish it was more accurate with acp ball than it is. I'm plotting to put a red dot or some type of scope on mine.

Enjoy :D

• 2 weeks later...

I shot with it on Saturday. NICE trigger break. I got better groups with it than with my Glock 19. Manageable recoil even with the hard wood grips. The front sight is essentially invisible, but I will deal with that in short order. Of course everyone on the line with me wanted to shoot it. And they did!

A guy a couple stalls down had a custom race-built 1911, trigger pull well under 2 lbs. Let me run a mag through it. That was fun! (You don't pull the trigger, you think about pulling the trigger.)

That WAS a fun gun to shoot. Len let me pop off a few rounds with his new toy...that pup shoots very nicely...and I don't like wheelguns.

The fella with the race gun was very nice to let us run a mag through that bad boy. Len's right...if you even though about the trigger...it put a hole in paper. It snuck up on Len onces :-)