Reactive Steel Plate Targets

Guys,

Do any of you have a resource for Steel Plate targets, some cool ones that are reactive? My Berm is growing, and I am in the process of making a proper Gun range in my back yard. 

I have bought some simple ones from Amazon and shot them up. I would appreciate some info

Posted (edited)

I second Jeff43, I have bought most of my steel from https://shootingtargets7.com

They use flat rate boxes so their shipping is reasonable but the mailman don't like their boxes much.  If you get on their mailing list they send out all their sales, and they have lots of them.  They have nice charts to help you buy the right thickness for what you plan to shoot.  Since I shoot a bit of everything on my range I color code my targets Green handle anything I own, Yellow carbines and handguns, red .22 only.  If you make everything for the biggest caliber they don't ring that well on lower caliber.

As long as your buying targets, I found that just buying what ever paint was cheap didn't cover well and in the long run cost more than good paint.  I found https://www.rangestore.net that sells high pigment target paint in a bunch of colors.  They cover fast and a can last awhile.

Edited by Jeb48
  • Like 4
37 minutes ago, et45 said:

I 2nd Bullseye in Murfreesboro.They have a great selection of steel targets including resetting plate racks

I have bought a couple of different sizes from them too. A new owner has it now I believe.

Posted (edited)

Be sure to hang the targets correctly because you can get bullet splatter coming back at you. The targets need to be swinging or mounted at an angle to the ground so the splatter is directed downward at the ground.

I had a whole lead R N bullet hit me on the shin and I was shooting directly into a seasoned Oak hardwood target backstop and it came straight back at me and brought blood on my shin. Don't ask me how but it can happen. I don't get closer than 21' from my swinging metal targets and wear protective eye safety shooting glasses. They actually recommend farther away than what I do. 

Edited to add; My 6" pistol rack is slanted toward the back, at the top, and they direct the splatter upward and behind the target. They fall backward and are not solid mounted when struck by a bullet. Be safe with steel! 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, pop pop said:

Be sure to hang the targets correctly because you can get bullet splatter coming back at you. The targets need to be swinging or mounted at an angle to the ground so the splatter is directed downward at the ground.

I agree. My closest steel is about 30 feet but to make it as safe as possible, besides the tilting and swinging my shooting deck is about 4 feet above the close target.  Other targets are on a hill side so are eventually at the same hight or even higher but still at an angle and swinging.  So far I haven't had a problem.  I find paper pretty boring after shooting steel most of the time. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...