From a former dial-up user.

dariks

I live in a fairly rural part of Robertson county where no cable or dsl service is available. My only choices were dial-up, satellite internet or ISDN. Satellite, from all the reviews I read, was horrible and ISDN didn't work very well. So I was stuck on dial-up for 5 years.

Recently on my semi-annual "hunt for something better than dial-up" I discovered that I am in the coverage area for wireless broadband. Specifically Verizon Wireless. For $50 (after the $50 mail in rebate), a 1 year contract and $59.99/month I finally have something better than dial-up. I was paying $15 for my ISP and $20 or so for the second phone line. The difference is like night and day. It's not as fast as cable, but it is WAY faster than dial-up.

I had to download 692MB to patch a game that I wanted to play (WoW). On dial-up it would have taken days to download if I could even have maintained the connection that long. On the Verizon wireless it only took 4 hours! One thing that I will probably buy is an antenna. I only have 2 bars of service, so hopefully I can boost it a little bit more.

Anyway I'm just so happy so far that I wanted to shout it to the world! :D:D:D

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TargetShooter84

I remember the times I had dial up...man I was always frustrated with everything with it then I switched to DSL and been very happy with it since! Glad you got a better service!

hey! what realm and whats your character name? I'm in antonidas and my character name is...go figure...towerclimber

I'm a dwarf warrior (in a mr. T voice) whats Yo game??

LOL

I'm on Malygos. I haven't played in about 2 years or so, but my account was just sitting dormant. :D So I reactivated it and I've still got all my chars and items.

Guest MidTNShooter

I use the Verizon card on my work laptop. If you haven't done it yet, you can boost the speed even faster. I showed my fellow workers and they were amazed. If anyone wants to know how (done by tweeking the PC), let me know. No patches or anything else. I've been doing this to my PC for three years now. We had Cingular and switched to Verizon. This tweek for both services.

MTS

Sure wish I could get high speed! ;) I live about three miles outside of Verizon's coverage area......or anyone else's for that matter! I used to love to play Ultima Online several years ago.....then the game got so popular and crowded that my slow connection just couldn't keep up anymore. I can only connect at 26,400 with my 56k modem. I can't watch any video and it takes soooooooooo long for pages to load:( I am jealous :)

One thing that I will probably buy is an antenna. I only have 2 bars of service, so hopefully I can boost it a little bit more.

;):D:D

I will soon be moving to a coverage are similar to yours and would be interested in any Antenna information you come up with.

Thanks,

Mike

It would be hard for me to go back to dial-up after having this cable. And that would be an have to case.

That what happened to me. When I had an apartment in Nashville I had cable, but when I moved out to the country I couldn't get it. To be honest, I could have gotten cable. All it would have cost me is $2,000 or so for them to run the cable. ;)

Guest MidTNShooter
That what happened to me. When I had an apartment in Nashville I had cable, but when I moved out to the country I couldn't get it. To be honest, I could have gotten cable. All it would have cost me is $2,000 or so for them to run the cable. :eek:

I too live in Robertson County. I wasn't untill about this time last year AT&T (aka Bellsouth) put a switch within distance of my home. We have three choices. A) Faster than ISDN - B) A little bit faster than "A" - C) Pretty dog-gone fast. I choose "C". The cable company's trunk cable is about 1/4 mile down my street. I asked a supervisor when are they coming my way. He said when more toilets flush. It's the country, they grow "stuff" here. There will be no more toilets unless the cows learn how to flush.

Go Verizon. I would have done that if I had known about it earlier.

MTS