'transfering' permit from another state to TN

Guest friesepferd

Guest friesepferd

When I moved to TN about three years ago, I was able to 'transfer' my MI carry permit to TN. All I did was show them my MI licesne and fill out a TN HCP renewal form.

I know I had to do this when I switched my drivers license because my MI carry license would no longer be valid when I swiched to a TN drivers license due to MI law (your carry license is not valid w/o a drivers license)

I have a friend who moved here from NV. He has already gotten his TN drivers license and I'm curious as to whether or not he can still (or ever could) transer his NV carry permit to TN this way. I don't know if a current NV drivers license is required for the NV carry permit to be valid. It may very well be valid w/o the drivers license.

Does anyone know which states can just tranfer their permits? Is it anyone with reciprocity or is it a certain list?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can see all the states and the requirments on the state's websit here. Handgun Carry Permit Application Requirements

For NV: Applicant must be twenty-one (21), complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, and pay the applicable renewal fee.

So it appears it would just be fill out the application and pay the $50 renewal fee.

Guest TnRebel

I moved here from Fl. the first state to shall issue , and had to take to hand gun safety course and fill out the forms and file a renew. , even though in Fl. they accepted my DD-214.

• 11 months later...

It's an old thread, but it had just the info I was looking for. Thanks for the link!

Looks like even though you can carry in TN with a recognized permit from another state, you still have to complete all requirements before getting a TN permit. No reciprocity.

It's an old thread, but it had just the info I was looking for. Thanks for the link!

Looks like even though you can carry in TN with a recognized permit from another state, you still have to complete all requirements before getting a TN permit. No reciprocity.

Well "reciprocity" seems to mean different things to different people.

I think even with the states that TN does have formal written reciprocity agreements, residents from those state with a valid permit who become Tennessee residents can't simply get a TN HCP without at least filling out the application and paying the renewal fee.

Technically, I misspoke (mis-wrote?). TN does have partial reciprocity in that they will transfer the fingerprints taken in Mississippi, so you don't have do go through that process again.

Reading the page at the link above, you still have to complete all TN requirements, even if you complete some of them in other states. A friend of mine who currently lives in Mississippi but was planning on moving to TN next year currently carries a weapon in her vehicle. This is legal in MS but not allowed in TN without a HCP. MS only requires a background check, fingerprints, and a fee for a license. TN requires that plus taking the 8-hour class and proof of lawful US residency. Our logic was that if she could get a MS permit first then later get a TN permit by direct reciprocity she could skip the 8-hour class.

But she will still have to take the class, plus pay the TN fees (in addition to the MS fees), so it will be cheaper to simply wait until she's up here before starting the process.

Guest Eric Hawkins

Not to repeat any thing but I moved to Chattanooga, TN from Chickamauga, GA (about 10 miles), Georgia CCW permits only require a Background check and finger printing. When I moved to Tennessee I was required to take a approved CCW class and fill out an application at the DMV, my finger printing and background check carried over as they were adequate to Tennessee standards. I can not remember the cost but it was the same as a Tennessee renewal and not the full price for a new permit. Also there is a amount of time you have to transfer a out of state permit before it is no longer recognized, I think it was 90 days. I was told by the lady at the DMV and a Tennessee state trooper that my Georgia permit was still good to carry for that 90 day period.

Edited by Eric Hawkins
... Also there is a amount of time you have to transfer a out of state permit before it is no longer recognized, I think it was 90 days. I was told by the lady at the post office and a Tennessee state trooper that my Georgia permit was still good to carry for that 90 day period.

Well, TN doesn't require you to get TN HCP until 6 months of residency, as far as being able to use previous state's permit. I've never seen anything about a 90 period regarding the reciprocity renewal vs. full price, though.

I'd say your out of state one probably still needs to be active to get the renewal price perk, though. ($50 vs $115).

- OS

Guest Eric Hawkins
Well, TN doesn't require you to get TN HCP until 6 months of residency, as far as being able to use previous state's permit. I've never seen anything about a 90 period regarding the reciprocity renewal vs. full price, though.

I'd say your out of state one probably still needs to be active to get the renewal price perk, though. ($50 vs $115).

- OS

You are right about the 6 months and not 90 days, my memory is just not that great lol. It does state on the website:

If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, such person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee. Such person will be processed as a renewal applicant if the eligibility requirements of the other state are substantially similar to the eligibility requirements of Tennessee.

For my case they only charged me the $50, and it only took about 2 weeks to get compared to a friend who did it at the same time taking 3 months for his. I was worried about the time that lapsed where I had a TN drivers license and a GA carry permit, although I could not find any thing on the web site that stated this every one I called said I could still carry while waiting on the TN permit to arrive.

... I was worried about the time that lapsed where I had a TN drivers license and a GA carry permit, although I could not find any thing on the web site that stated this every one I called said I could still carry while waiting on the TN permit to arrive.

Yah, might raise an eyebrow if personal interaction with LEO, but unless that TN DL date was more than 6 months old, doubt it would ever come to anything. Then again, this might be a detail of the HCP laws that not just every LEO might know right off the bat.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

When I moved to TN from Arkansas I just paid 50 dollars and gave the highway patrol a copy of my Arkansas concealed handgun license. I did not have to be finger printed or qualify on the range. I already had to qualify on a range and be finger printed for my AR license. I carried on the Arkansas license until my TN license came in the mail.

• 2 weeks later...
Back in 2007, when I tried to get a PA HCP carried over, the website indicated it was a renewal but the Dept wanted me to through a new application. After a new application and class, I have mine. Won't ever let it expire!

Not as much now, but especially in the past, it wasn't uncommon to find a DOS worker that didn't know all the ins and outs of the HCP process. Of course too late for you now, but should have carried a printout of the website and keep moving up the chain until someone knew what they were doing. It has taken some having them call Nashville before the proper thing was done.

Back in 2007, when I tried to get a PA HCP carried over, the website indicated it was a renewal but the Dept wanted me to through a new application. After a new application and class, I have mine. Won't ever let it expire!

Just a note: Can't say what it was in 07, (wouldn't think they'd change it, though, unless PA lowered their requirements) but that's what it is now:

"Pennsylvania

Applicant must be twenty-one (21), take a DOS approved handgun safety course, complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay one hundred and fifteen dollar ($115.00) fee and be fingerprinted. "

- OS