Range report Tarus TCP PT738

Mad_Squirrell

I bought a used Taurus TCP .380 from dralarms (good experience btw) .

Took it to the range yesterday and put 100 flawless rds through it .I was using magtech .380 95 gr FMJ

Shooting at 7-10 yds it grouped a consistent 2"-3". the Trigger is long like most DAO but was very smooth . The fixed sights make the little pistol shoot low but compensating for that was not difficult to get it on target. It is a painful little booger to shoot after about 20 rds . But its not a range gun obviously . The only complaint with the gun that I have is the empty cases like to hit you on the top of the head . But that might be partially because of the amount of recoil that little thing has ,it's very snappy. Recovering and getting back on target quickly was not an issue . Overall I'm Pleased so far with its performance great little pocket gun .I will be getting some defensive ammo soon for it to be used for carry when I get my HCP.

I have read some disparaging reports on the TCP just like all Taurus autos they seem to be hit and miss on quality. This one seems to be a good production run. The serial number ends in an "A" for those that are interested. From what I've read that's the run you want for reliability.

Edited by Mad_Squirrell
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I took it on loan yesterday from her lol she still has claim on it :D . And I'm taking her today to let her try it out if she feels better otherwise she would have gone yesterday as well . And yeah I was there. There was about 15-20 people there around 4:30pm the rifle ranges were packed and three of the pistol ranges were filled up . Ranges 4 and 5 were vacant when we (Dad and I) arrived . Its amazing what nice weather does .:shrug:

I have a 738 also with the A serial number. I have not had any problems with it. I did do a few mods to it to help it along. I shoot Speer Lawman FMJ ammo for practice and it runs fine. I have not had a problem with shells hitting me but have heard about it. If you haven`t heard about it go to www.taurusarmed.net You can fine a lot of info there. Enjoy your shooting

I really hope she likes shooting it as much as she like holding it because I really want her to get her HCP if not she will be getting a snubby .38 spl .If so I'll be getting another pocket gun for myself. I see it as a win win situation no matter what the outcome because I still get permission from the boss to buy another gun .

I'll second the Taurusarmed.net web site. Good information in the gunsmithing section. My TCP has functioned great all along, but it was digging a divot in the brass where the extractor was grabbing it. I followed the information about removing some of the "nose" off of the extractor with a file, and polished it, and no more divot! IT still ejects on top of my head though. But, the extractor tends to hold the brass off of the face of the slide, so when it slams into battery, the extractor digs into the brass. Apparently, this is one of the "fixes" done at Taurus when they are sent back with issues. Mine is an "A" as well. I also bought a used 709 (from a fellow forum member) and it's a joy to shoot. The TCP can be a little snappy with heavy loads, but I'm loading my own and can tame it down a bit.

Well she hated the TCP ,she said it was too painful for her so she will not be able to shoot it enough to get proficient with it .So it's all mine again lol I get to keep it, but we have to start looking for a wheel gun . No arguments there .

Mine seems to be biting the brass as well I noticed it on a few spent cases yesterday . I sold my 709 to get funds for the TCP I had originally bought the 709 for deep concealment but it proved to be just a tad too big for that. Even though I'm a big guy it was just too bulky for pocket carry .But did fit nicley in my pocket with the Desantis holster. but still printed too much .

Well she hated the TCP ,she said it was too painful for her so she will not be able to shoot it enough to get proficient with it .So it's all mine again lol I get to keep it, but we have to start looking for a wheel gun . No arguments there .

Mine seems to be biting the brass as well I noticed it on a few spent cases yesterday .

Glad you get to keep it.

I never noticed it biting brass before, guess I never looked since I don't have reloading stuff.

It's biting the brass because the nose of the extractor is too long. Check the Taurus Armed forum. There's a good explanation of this in either the 700 series or gunsmithing section. I filed my extractor down and it now allows the case head to sit completely against the bolt face without digging into the brass. Reworking the extractor didn't stop mine from dumping the brass on my head! It is supposed to improve reliability though.