Two by Campfield RE carry on college/univ campus

Lawmakers Consider Allowing Guns On College Campuses - News Story - WCYB Tri Cities

My boss was talking to me about this interview this morning. They may have 20 armed officers on the main campus but at another campus location they have 1 unarmed security guard that works nights at a facility where several hundred students attend from 8 am to 10 pm at night. At this facility several years ago during a weekend when no one was present, someone fired shots through a glass door down a hall.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone at work told me they didn’t think MTSU security was armed. Is that true?

How does the faculty feel about this from your point of view?

Give us the scoop on what the people that would be allowed to carry/or not are saying.

Have the parents been asked what they think or been given an oppertunity to speak yet?

davetn,

From the experience I had in our emergency preparedness video, most of the faculty, in that meeting, seemed against it. This from the guffaws and rumbles I heard when I brought up the issue of campus carry in the meeting. Now within the university environment you can find certain colleges and departments that are more pro than con. Like someone else mentioned, if you are going to support the 1st why not the 2nd or any other amendments. Part-time Patriots??? ffr1910

With the Governor opposed to this legislation, it does not have a chance. More than likely it would pass in the Senate, but with the House in the pocket of the Alexander/Haslam wing of the Republican Party, no way will it survive the Judiciary Committee.

If the vote to table the amendment to HB 2021 is an indication of support for firearms issues, then one could infer since these Legislators who are Judiciary Committee members who voted FOR tabling the amendment:

Vice Chair Jim Coley-R

Secretary Vance Dennis-R

Jon Lundberg-R

Rick Womick-R

Speaker Beth Harwell-R(who gets to vote in any committee in case of a tie)

Also:

Jeremy Faison-R present not voting

and, you have on that committee as well:

Janis Sontany-D

Karen Camper-D

Gary Moore-D

I would say the odds are very much against the bill getting out of the committee as written, as there is no telling what Chairman Watson will do, his will be the wild card vote.

Edited by Worriedman

Rep. Holt's Bill got sent to Summer Study (aka killed). I wonder if all the Campus Police Officers lined up in the first three rows in the chamber of the Judiciary Committee meeting room, in their uniforms and carrying their weapons, were drawing pay from the taxpayer?

Guest Overtaker
You might want to watch the video for SB1198 that was heard in committee today. Campfield was setting up the TBR guy.

"You have to be able to be a good shot to shoot a snake and not your foot." --Sen. Ford

Sen. Campfield starts at 00:54:00. It's quite humorous. VIDEO

Edited by Overtaker

Campfield's spiel was pretty good...TBR dude looked like he really wanted a place to hide when he realized what was going on. Yeager looked pretty bad, though, by misstatingthe bill...and Ford...well, 'nuff aid. She purports to have been a deputy? Wow...

There are many people who say Campfield is crazy, but I think he's about the most rational and non-sellout person in Nashville. What a great use of sarcasm to make his point. I noticed that he was pretty peeved by the end considering how he pushed his mic away.

I am super sick of the hypocrites at our schools and in Nashville. People at schools need to get their heads out of the sand and realize no matter how much they wish their sacred campus ground to be different, it's no different than any other piece of land on this earth. They need to start living in reality and wake up to what the world is actually like. The self-serving people in Nashville need to realize that the citizens of the state come before the businesses of the state. I don't say that lightly, but without people, there are no businesses. Allowing firearms in parking lots of businesses doesn't affect their bottom line one penny, so our lawmakers need to tell the ones fighting it to shove it because it makes absolutely no difference business wise and is not putting a new burden on them.

Yeah, if you watch his reactions when his next bill was called, you could see the frustration even more. Would love to know what he was considering there for a moment or two...

The real hypocrisy occurs when you have legislators indicate to you that THEY don't follow the rules RE firearms in the parking bldg..