Sig 238

tugboat

I just purchased a sig 238 380 this weekend. I absolutely love the gun. It came with crimson trace laser which i havent tuned in yet. As far as comfort and shooting, its awesome. My only concern is it is shooting 3 inch groups constantly 2 1/2 inches or so to the right. I'm not very confident in changing things on my own. Can anyone give me some pointers on what to do to fix this? 2 other people shot it and had the same results. Very accurate as far as the grouping just to the right for everyone. I love this little gun and its a permanent member of the herd. Just would like to fine tune it. Thanks for the help.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The theory is fairly simple:

Move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to go. For example, if you're shooting low, raise the rear sight. If you're shooting left, move the rear sight to the right. I have one too, I love it and EDC it when wearing summer clothing.

Guest josh123
I think the 238 is a great looking piece but I've heard the waiting list is forever. Where or how did you get it and did you have it on order?

dont know where oak ridge is but arms fair in cordova tn always has them in stock

I think the 238 is a great looking piece but I've heard the waiting list is forever. Where or how did you get it and did you have it on order?

Try a different store. They are popular, but here in chattanooga, Ive seen them (2 or more at a time, with possibly more "in the back room") in stock in a half dozen shops. I can't think they would be hard to find if you wanted one, but finding a deal on one, thats another story :cool:

great little firearms and not at all hard to find. all of gunbroker & gunsamerica, not to mention countless units in LGS's ...

congrats on the pick up :) I'm not confident in adjusting sites, so I would likely have my gunsmith take care of it for me.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I had a local gunsmith happen to walk in my place of work today. He enlightened me on what to do which is take a brass punch the to rear sight. According to him, it sounds worse than it really is. I would have thought they would be in there tighter than that but it took very little adjusting and now its dead on. Just got to tune in the laser and im ready. This little gun is amazingly accurate and I'm very please.

Bubba....Believe it or not, Gander mt had these on sale this weekend. Long story short, because of there add in the paper, the laser they were "giving" away fell through so they had to provide crimson trace sights which was awesome as far as the value. I wanted one of these reguardless of the laser but it was "free". The price was as good on these as anywhere else as well. Sadly, this was the last one they had and the sale ended Sunday. I do have another source than can get one. Let me know which one you want because there are several to choose from and I can give you his number.

Three gun stores I know of that have Sig P238's currently are:

D & T Arms,

Lebanon Gun Store

The Gun Room (Lebanon)

Got mine last week at Arm's Fair in Cordova....call William, the owner...nice people...or go to armsfair.com ....and you can see what they have in stock.....nitron with night sights...love it. If you beat them out of a laser at Gander...I bet they made sure it was the last one! Arms' fair also has a used HD p238 in stoc w night sights...$550...heavier..

lol...Gander had them in the sales add coming with a a green laser but when we got there they had a sign stating those were discontinued so they came with the crimson trace. I was surprised they actually had one myself.

Reguarding the HD...My friend has one and its heavier but shoots great as well. I ecpected that just because of the weight. I shot this again yesterday and all though im sounding like a broke record, I cant believe how good and accurate this gun shoots. im very please with my new purchase.

Thanks for all the response....Im new to the site and im loving it. Great to interact with down to earth folks and hear the opinions. Thanks again

i just bought one from gunbroker for 400 + 25 shipping... just got it this week so haven't shot it yet... just cleaned it... i love it already...my curent EDC is a G-19 in a desantis intruder, im thinking this little gem is going to be the summer carry piece, i did order some extra mags for it from midwayusa.com for the colt mustang... $19 vs. $40-$50 for factory sig mags, looking for some grips right now and a nice holster also, poss. a new tactical trigger

took my P238 to the range today and ran 50 rounds through it...wow..what sweet little piece. Nice trigger, great sights for such a small gun. no FTF's shooting white box. I know it's more money, these are in another category than the Rugers and Keltec 380's....they have their place, but shoot fun is not one of them. It was an easy transition in the shooting mechanics as I was able to shoot my 1911 45acp alternating back and forth. I'm happy with it.

Why Sig did not put an ambi safety on this gun is beyond me. I called them and told them that they have automatically eliminated 15% of their customers.

All I got was a "duh" from them.

How utterly stupid.

I wouldn't buy it if it had a safety. So that means 15% more sales because it dont have a safety.

there is a custom shop that does the amby safty, and grips for around $200, i think at least an extended safty would of been a little better...haven't really practiced drawing and safty off quite yet though...although it is a 1911 style...it's quite small...i also sent an e-mail to rassco to see if they would start making grips for them...think they would sell a ton, i have a set of his on my officer 1911 and love um

Why Sig did not put an ambi safety on this gun is beyond me. I called them and told them that they have automatically eliminated 15% of their customers.

All I got was a "duh" from them.

How utterly stupid.

I am a lefty and would HATE having ambi controls on this gun. It would make it fatter/bumpier/more snagtastic/etc, a terrible thing for a pocket pistol. I wouldnt mind reversable controls (unscrew and attach on other side or something) but having them on both sides all the time would be awful IMHO. Reversing just the safety is pointless: the mag release has to be reversed too, and it would be even better if you could order it to eject left handed. Right handed ejection covers the left handed shooter in hot brass. Ambi controls is twice the chance of knocking the safety off in your pocket, and twice the chance of dropping the mag in your pocket (something the 238 likes to do already!!). I just do not think ambi controls belong on a pocket pistol/derringer/mousegun type frame.

15% is way high: left handedness runs about 10% and good % of that 10% just shoot right handed. At most, they may lose a few sales to the lefties who WILL NOT shoot right handed, but as was already said, its probably a wash since a number of existing (right handed?) customers would not buy the thing with ambi controls. Even I, as a left hander, would rather have it as-is than ambi.

Its no pocket pistol, but take a look at the CZ82 or 83 maybe for a mak or 380 with 1911 safety and ambi controls. Still spits the case at you, but its about as neutral-handed weapon as you can find.

Hogwash....shooting a right handed gun left handed does NOT shower you with brass.

Everyone on this board knows better than that!

Your shooting yours 2 handed style probably. If you shoot them one handed, the brass flys out the port, to the right and backwards: right into... you. If you hold it 2h in the middle of your body, it goes the same place for anyone, of course -- this is probably the common knowledge of which you speak. Depends on the pistol and ammo in question whether it hits the shooter or not, but some ammo in some guns will hit you every time if you 1 hand it, others will never do it. For the combinations that do it, its very, very annoying.

If the port were on the other side, that would *never* happen, the brass would go back and left, away from the shooter.