County Sheriff's Signature for Class 3 Items

Guest IceBreakerG

Guest IceBreakerG

Hello all,

I wasn't really sure where to ask this since it's a strange question, but I finally got the call from ETS with the serial number for my sound suppressor for my Walther P22. The next step for me is to get the Sheriff's signature on the paperwork and mail that off to the ATF. My question is for those of you in Memphis who have gone through this process or know about it. Do I just walk in, wait for them to look it over and then walk out with the signature on the paperwork, or do I have to leave it there with them and come back to pick it up? I'm going to need to do this either on my lunch break or after work sometime this week (preferably tomorrow), and I'm looking for a fast turnaround time. Can anyone help me out with this information? I know I need to go to the weapons and permits office at 201 Poplar, but not really sure what to expect. Thanks for any info you all can provide.

Eric G.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ETS_Inc

Eric,

Glad to see you here on TGO.

From what I've been told, you'll have to drop it off and pick it up another day. The Sheriff has 15 business days to get it turned around, but most are faster than that.

Frank

Guest ETS_Inc
I've never actually shot any subsonic .22 ammo, but I didn't think that the sonic boom was the loud part, I thought it was the explosion from the cartridge itself. Is .22 subsonic ammo really quiet enough to take the place of a suppressor?

No. Only the bullet is subsonic. The gases still break the sound barrier. A suppressor basically causes those gases to turn their kinetic energy back into stored energy before escaping the suppressor.

Guest ETS_Inc
Your only complaint will be how much money you end up spending in the future on NFA toys.

Ain't that the truth. But, as long as you don't run out and buy the company that built your suppressors and AOW, you can rest assured that you don't have the disease as bad as somebody else. :(

• 3 weeks later...
Guest flesheatingvirus
A lil off topic but wouldnt it be cheaper just to buy the subsonic ammo(sp?)?

Now where is the fun in that? :koolaid:

Guest IceBreakerG

Sorry for taking so long to respond back to this, been very busy the last month or so. I'm learning first hand about the NFA bug :up: I don't even have the suppressor yet, but I'm already working with Frank on my AR-15 build (which will also be suppressed too). Anyway, for anybody that's curious about the process in Memphis, I was able to walk in and walk out with the signature the same day (process took about an hour and a half though).

You have to go to the jail area first to get a background check done on yourself, and they'll give you a No Wants letter (basically stating you don't have a criminal background and no outstanding warrants). Then you go to the 10th floor at 201 Poplar, and go to the County Office. Talk to one of the ladies at the window, and tell her you need the CLEO's signature on a transfer application. Wait about 15-20mins for that to happen, and go about your business. The time of day you go may have a lot to do with it too. I took an extended lunch and went around 9:30am

That was about a month ago. I know the BATFE received my paperwork because they already deposited the check I sent. I just wish they'd hurry up and approve the transfer so I can get my suppressor. It's finally starting to warm up, so that means a lot of outside shooting!

• 2 months later...
Guest michael1

I called the Sheriff's Office in LaFollette and just made an apointment and went in and a bout an hour later I left with the form in my hand.

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry for taking so long to respond back to this, been very busy the last month or so. I'm learning first hand about the NFA bug :up: I don't even have the suppressor yet, but I'm already working with Frank on my AR-15 build (which will also be suppressed too). Anyway, for anybody that's curious about the process in Memphis, I was able to walk in and walk out with the signature the same day (process took about an hour and a half though).

You have to go to the jail area first to get a background check done on yourself, and they'll give you a No Wants letter (basically stating you don't have a criminal background and no outstanding warrants). Then you go to the 10th floor at 201 Poplar, and go to the County Office. Talk to one of the ladies at the window, and tell her you need the CLEO's signature on a transfer application. Wait about 15-20mins for that to happen, and go about your business. The time of day you go may have a lot to do with it too. I took an extended lunch and went around 9:30am

That was about a month ago. I know the BATFE received my paperwork because they already deposited the check I sent. I just wish they'd hurry up and approve the transfer so I can get my suppressor. It's finally starting to warm up, so that means a lot of outside shooting!

thanks for the info i am about to go apply in a week or so thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest crotalus01

+1 on that info. In Memphis they make the signoff process very easy and relatively fast.

Just FYI, Gun and Ammo on Summer has a C3 dealer and they also sell silencers (they have some in stock made by a local guy in MS), so no need to use a dealer located in Nashville. They can also order whatever you need - AAC, YHM, Gemtech etc.