Does the form 1 include barrel length?

Guest iScream

Guest iScream

Hey Guys,

I think I might do a SBR sometime in the future and I'm wondering if I can keep more than one upper with different barrel lengths for the lower I register. Does the form I have to send in specify what length barrel I'm using?

Is it one of those things where one lower registered as a SBR allows you to have one upper with a barrel less than 16" in the house?

Just curious whether I could keep a couple uppers to swap around.

Thanks,

Chris

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the Form 1 must specify the barrel length for the SBR. Just use the barrel length of the SBR upper you will be using the most. You can have multiple uppers for the SBR lower, and swap them back and forth when you want. If you are going to make a permanent change to the barrel length of your SBR, you should notify the ATF NFA Branch in writing of the new barrel length.

You can possess multiple short-barreled uppers, as long as you have a legal use for them (i.e. a registered SBR lower); however, to play it safe, I would have a regular upper installed on all of your other non-SBR firearms. If you had just a regular lower lying around, you don't want the ATF saying one of those short-barreled uppers was for that.

I hope that all made sense.

Edited by Reservoir Dog
Guest iScream

Yes, it makes sense. Do you think they would have an issue with there being a couple stripped lowers in the safe or would it only be complete ready to attach lowers?

Thanks,

Chris

Yes, it makes sense. Do you think they would have an issue with there being a couple stripped lowers in the safe or would it only be complete ready to attach lowers?

Thanks,

Chris

Personally, I think you will be alright as long as you have at least one registered SBR lower to use with your short-barreled uppers. I gave my warning above so as not to give the ATF any excuse they may need to mess with you. Someone else may have a different opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Res Dog that you will more than likely be ok.

6 or 7 yrs ago when built my first sbr, they wouldn't let me list multiple calibers. I had a 11 inch 5.56 and a 10 inch tros 9mm upper. Was told to register one and write a letter stating that I would occationally use the 10 inch 9mm barrel on registered sbr lower. I carry a copy with form 1 copy. Since I had multiple AR's laying around and stripped lowers, I was advised to have lowers on hand registered as pistols to maintain legality for other short uppesr on site. This is probably overkill, but I got a couple cheap blemed lowers logged out as handguns and stamped them pistol only. So basicly they are stripped lowers with take down pins. Only cost me $45 each. You could also get ya a couple 10 dollar forgings and drill the take down pins as close as you can and stamp pistol only with some serial number. They don't have to be functional.