Picked up a Kahr CW45

Guest darkstar

Guest darkstar

Added a Kahr CW 45 to my collection today. Have been looking for a slim CCW sized 45 for a while. I have tried out the Glock sub-compact but wasn't crazy about the grip size. Some of the other smaller 45's were OK but didn't want to spend a huge amount. The CW45 was actually the most comfortable of the bunch I have tried. This is my first Kahr and I have yet to fire this so I'm wondering how all you other Kahr owners like your pistols. I undertand (from reading the manual and through other posts here) that it's important to give the gun at least a 200 round break in so at first chance I'll fork over the obscene money for a few boxes of 45's ( Wally World jacked them up recently...I think they were almost 27-28$ for a box of 100) and shoot some paper.

Also want to add that I got this at The Rabbi's shop, Eastside Gunshop. This is the second purchase I have made from him. As with my first purchase this one was an enjoyable experience. The price was very fair, he's a knowledgeable guy, he's got great stories, and really knows how to treat a customer and ensure repeat business. ( No I'm not a relative or getting any kick-backs :mad: )

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer

I have the CW40...I know, manual says 200...but reality it took bout 300-350 for mine...nothing major, just falure to feed.... suppose you could polish the feed ramp...to make it a little easier...but honestly, I love mine...fun to shoot, and very accurate. make sure you oil the slide before shooting, the packing oil is terrible straight outta the box (buddy found that out the hard way with his)

oh, and VERY easy to carry concealed...comfortable and light.

the 45 may be a little snappy, but once you break it in, I am sure you will get used to it, plus, I am sure it is not your range gun just on the price of ammo alone!! but for Self Defense, you will like it!!

Enjoy!

Guest darkstar

So I put 200 rounds through the Kahr (for the reccomeded break in period). The gun shoots very well. I thought it would be sort of difficult to get used to the recoil with such a small sized .45 (my other .45's are larger) but it's very manageable. The only problem I. had with it is that it wore out a pretty decent sized piece of skin on the top side base of my thumb, but by shifting my grip just slightly down it eliminates that issue.

The sights took some getting used to. Instead of the usual 3 dot sights this gun has a front dot and a white bar rear sight. I was shooting a bit on the low side for the first 30 rounds or so. After experimenting for a little bit I finally got it down and was putting everything where it was aimed. This gun is very very accurate for only a 3 plus inch barrel. At close range (3-7 yds) I was able to keep groups very tight ( I didn't measure ) and down at 15 yds I would guess the groups were around an inch and a half inches or less. This was with WWB 230 FMJ. While I wasn't putting them all into a ragged hole I thought this was pretty decent for a short barrel the first time shooting a new gun.

Cleaning the gun was pretty easy. You just line up two little marks on the slide and frame, push out the pin and thats about it. The slide comes off easy as does the barrel ( Saftey first, you need to triple check the chamber as the trigger must be pulled to get the slide off) The WWB I was firing was pretty dirty, but the gun cleaned easy enough.

All in all I am very happy with this. It's amazingly small and will be easily concealed. Capacity is 6+1 so it's not exactly a high capacity, but then again it's not designed to be. I will keep shooting this a bit more with some hollowpoints ( I did fire off one mag full with no issues) just to establish reliability but so far so good. If you are looking for a small sized .45 to carry this might work for you, the thing that did it for me was the grip. A lot of the other sub compact 45's I looked at had grips that were just not right for me, i.e too short. I don't have gigantic hands, but not small either and most of the other guns I was looking at I had one or two fingers hanging off the end, but not with the Kahr. Give this one a try sometime.