69 grain Sierra Match King

Guest Crud

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It depends." Impact velocity, barrel twist and bullet construction all factor into whether a bullet will fragment, expand, tumble or drill a needle hole through. Match bullets are generally designed and manufactured to produce tight groups on paper with little to no consideration towards terminal effect.

Actually the SMK's do fragment and basically fall apart better than any FMJ's and in some cases better than SP's. The reason is they have a very, very thin jacket compared to most bullets.

Copy and past this link, it is not a hot link:

http://stevespages.com/jpg/bestbullet.jpg

Look at the SMK, it basically fragmented into nothing and did so at a slower velcoity than some other popular bullet designs.

Even though it isn't a hunting bullet I would not have a problem hunting with it. As a matter of fact my go to ammo is loaded with 69 SMK's.

Dolomite

Very informative Dolomite. My next challenge will be figuring out which powder to use and if my .223 cases will handle the hottest loads.

What gun, barrel length and twist?

Barrel length is the biggest thing. You want a powder that is slow enough to get the bullet up to speed without pressure spikes yet fast enough to burn completely in the barrel.

It isn't the case you have to worry about because it is all contained inside the chamber. There are some brands that tend to last longer than others though.

Dolomite

It's a 20" barrel. 1:7 twist 5.56 barrel.

My reload manual has a load for 25.5 grains of AA-2520 that says it gets a sierra Matchking to 2900 fps. I heard that 5.56 brass is sightly thicker and most of my brass is .223 remington.

If you're using military brass you need to back off say 10% and carefully work your way up. Thicker brass means smaller internal capacity which means increased pressure.

BTW, EXCELLENT choice on powder. 2520 is all I use and it does awesome in 223 and 308. I use a 75g HPBT match in my 1/7 AR. Works great.

with bigger bullets i use reloader 15 69 and up .but i still like an ar 15 with 55 grain bullets and a 1/12 twist barrel for me it seems to work best for hunting and at ranges of 200 or less yards

+1,000

A slower twist is the way to go for a lot of things. The fast twist seems to be an attempt to make a short range cartridge into a long range cartridge, which it will never be.

Dolomite

I personally like the 1-8" twist for a good all around twist. I also like WW748 but I also have had very good results with the heavy bullets and 2520. Never had that much luck out of the 1-12" guns with the 55 FMJBT's. Don't seem to stabilize that well. Flat base bullets seemed to shoot well.

Looking for loads for 69g match king also. Just started reloading for .223 and have no real starting point. I have a stag 16" 1-9 AR. Wondering if brass, primers, powders, make big impact? I know it is not a match gun, but I want see what it can do.

i use lake city or something they made cci primers reloader 15 powder and nosler 69 grain bullets look and shoot the same as sierria but cost about 35%less i am cheap

What type of nosler?

N17101 22cal{.224} 69gr HPBT {Custom Competition} $19.70 / 100

S1380 Sierra Bullets 22cal HV 69gr HPBT Match $18.75/100

@widners

thanks

• 4 weeks later...