HCP waiting time

Guest TennMan

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pjblurton
I was fingerprinted 29 May and got my HCP today, 11 July. That comes to something like 43 days. I don't think that is too bad.

I was fingerprinted May 19 and still ain't gots mines... That's 54 calendar days, 40 business days, 8 Mondays...But who's counting.

I Did get a letter in the mail from the DOS, but it had my sons name on it. It was a letter telling him that he was about to go over the number of allowed points on his drivers license...:)

Guess I could give 'em a call Monday.

Edited by pjblurton

I GOT IT TODAY!!! OH YEAH!!! It was a long wait. I finger printed on 4-14-08 and received my HCP today, 7-18-08. So much for 90 days. I'm just happy I finally got it. I went to the shooting range this morning and shot up all my ammo, so now I gotta go to Walmart and get some more. This is a good day.

Hope that means I only have about 10 days to go.

From what I've seen on this board and gotten from talking to the folks at RangeUSA, there appears to be ZERO correlation between when you sent it in and when you get it back. The RangeUSA folks were surprised to hear that when I called the other day, at the 45 day mark, I was told it had been issued two days before and I could expect it within 2 weeks, saying that most of the people they talk to are waiting close to 120 days!

I don't have any idea why some take longer than others, but hope they get them all out the door ASAP!

From what I've seen on this board and gotten from talking to the folks at RangeUSA, there appears to be ZERO correlation between when you sent it in and when you get it back. The RangeUSA folks were surprised to hear that when I called the other day, at the 45 day mark, I was told it had been issued two days before and I could expect it within 2 weeks, saying that most of the people they talk to are waiting close to 120 days!

I don't have any idea why some take longer than others, but hope they get them all out the door ASAP!

I agree...there are simply to many variations for all to be processed in a way to take the same amount of time.

The biggest difference in each application I would say is each persons local sheriff. As most know I guess...a copy of your application goes to your local sheriff so he/she can provide any information thay may contradict the information on the application. The sheriff has 30 days to do this. Some may do it the same day...some may wait a little while...some may never send it back and the DOS had to wait the whole 30 days before they can continue processing it.

The TBI also had 30 days to run the background check based on the info on the application and do a criminal record check using one set of fingerprints and send one set to the FBI for a federal record check. Again could be done soon...or several days for various reasons.

Also figure in mail time for the application to the sheriff, the prints to the TBI to and from the DOS and then at some point the HCP to you.

... there appears to be ZERO correlation between when you sent it in and when you get it back.

I realize that, that's why I said "hope". I was fingerprinted on April 23rd, so I'm right around 90 days. I'm waiting patiently. I'm almost 40 years old and have never had a carry permit before, I'm in no hurry. I just hope that the state lives up to its end of the bargin with 90 days. I live up to my end of the bargin by paying my taxes on time.

Just curious I know the state will do whatever they damn well please but heres the law

(l) The department shall issue a permit to an applicant not prohibited from obtaining a permit under this section no later than ninety (90) days after the date the department receives the application. A permit issued prior to the department's receipt of the Tennessee and federal bureaus of investigation's criminal history record checks based upon the applicant's fingerprints shall be subject to immediate revocation if either record check reveals that the applicant is not eligible for a permit pursuant to the provisions of this section.

What recourse does a person have if they dont have the card in their hands after 90 days.

Guest bkelm18
Just curious I know the state will do whatever they damn well please but heres the law

What recourse does a person have if they dont have the card in their hands after 90 days.

Nothing.

Guest GUTTERbOY

Small correction: it doesn't say that you shall have the permit in your hand within 90 days.

In my case, I called them about 92 days after I'd turned in my app, and even though they said they were still waiting on my background check, they went ahead and issued it.

Guest pjblurton
Lisa Knight, Manager

1150 Foster Avenue

Nashville, TN 37243 (615) 253-5221

866-849-3548 (toll-free)

I've called this number every Monday for the last 3 weeks. I always get this lady who says she will take my info and have someone call me back. To my suprise, I never get a call back.:up:

We'll I made my customary Monday call this morning and just happened to get a different lady. Her name was Rhonda and she was very courtious. She put me on hold and within 45 seconds, came back and said my permit has already been processed and I should have it in the mail within 14 days. If not, call her back and she would see what the hold up was.:D

This is just in time. Very much longer and I would have to repave my driveway from all the trips to the mailbox and back! (For those keeping track, today is day 63)

I've called this number every Monday for the last 3 weeks. I always get this lady who says she will take my info and have someone call me back. To my suprise, I never get a call back.:up:

FWIW, I got the same lady last week when I called, and I gave her my info. I was shocked to get a call back not ten minutes later from her.

Might be best to call early in the day before she gets swamped...

Guest abailey362

i've talked to the same "call you back" lady a couple of times and never got one back. I knew I shoulda called today.

Fingerprinted on 5-7.....getting close to my 90 days.

wonder if someone was over 90 days on an app.....got mugged/shot//other bad stuff, if they would win a case against the state.....

Guest bkelm18
i've talked to the same "call you back" lady a couple of times and never got one back. I knew I shoulda called today.

Fingerprinted on 5-7.....getting close to my 90 days.

wonder if someone was over 90 days on an app.....got mugged/shot//other bad stuff, if they would win a case against the state.....

You'd have a tough time proving that the HCP would have prevented the "bad stuff". I know it sounds stupid. Kinda hard to speculate what "could have happened" in court, especially in that situation.

Guest LimaLimaMikeFoxtrot

Hey fellas, forgive me for this being my first post but at least it is good news. I got fingerprinted on 30 May 2008 and after returning home today from a long weekend on business... yep, there it was in the box. Roughly eight weeks. Not too bad from what I've been reading around here.

I'm guessin' its some kind of unwritten law that I gotta carry to Wal-Mart now right?

To those still waiting, hang in there fellas. Its just our fabulous efficient gummint at work.

Man it sure be nice being able to carry a gun around!

I love my HCP :lol:

Hey fellas, forgive me for this being my first post but at least it is good news. I got fingerprinted on 30 May 2008 and after returning home today from a long weekend on business... yep, there it was in the box. Roughly eight weeks. Not too bad from what I've been reading around here.

I'm guessin' its some kind of unwritten law that I gotta carry to Wal-Mart now right?

To those still waiting, hang in there fellas. Its just our fabulous efficient gummint at work.

Welcome aboard!And yes it is indeed mandatory for the first outing to be at WalMart! Didn't they tell you that at your HCP class