HCP waiting time

Guest TennMan

Guest Linoge

Thanks for the heads-up, GUTTERbOY... I have a good 5.5 months to go on that window, though, since I submitted my HCP paperwork at the same time as changing my driver's license to a TN one. I figure once I get close to the 90 day mark, I will get in touch with the office and request some manner of official documentation indicating that they have my paperwork, but they are just being absurdly slow about it, and then start carrying that around in addition.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I called last week on my renewal (90+) days. Today I received a letter from them

that gave me permission to carry until my new permit came in. It was on Department letterhead. I guess renewals do not apply to this law. It seems in the time it took to write the letter they could of issued the permit. I will call again this week.

Why bother?

At least you CAN carry, indefinitely until they get a round tuit.

- OS

This is my first post - Thanks for all the info on this site.

I took the advice in this thread and called this morning. Tomorrow would have been 8 weeks. Low and behold they tell me it will be issued today and I'll see it in 7-14 business days...

So I really do think that calling and being pleasant helps. I spoke with Ronda at about 8:30am - phone rang three times, she asked me how long it had been since I submitted my paperwork, I told her, and then asked how she was and we chit chatted about the nice weather. Then she asked if I could hold for a minute, and about 30 seconds later she tells me the good news.

Thanks for the advice!

Guest superman7890

Ok so I talked to the clowns in Nashville again this morning. Trina told me the 90 days counts from when they actually received my paperwork, which according to her was 14 days after I submitted my fingerprints. Sounds like some crap if I've ever heard it.

Ok so I talked to the clowns in Nashville again this morning. Trina told me the 90 days counts from when they actually received my paperwork, which according to her was 14 days after I submitted my fingerprints. Sounds like some crap if I've ever heard it.

Sigh...Yes, that's totally incorrect info, can assure you.

This after yesterday, when Ms. Knight called me and told me personally that the lady who was giving out the "90+90" day "window" info to several folks, was incorrect, and that she was a part-time employee, who now doesn't work there. Ms. Knight assured me that staff had been updated on correct policy.

And she confirmed that the start date on mine was indeed 6/9/08 (the day I applied and was fingerprinted).

Those are the only clear explanations coming from our conversation. I still don't have even an estimated issue date, no clear cut reason why, etc.

Obviously, the phone info situation hasn't really improved at all.

I'm fully expecting mine to take more effort on my part, now that I've rocked the boat, even though I didn't do it in a nasty way.

If I ever get it, I'll update the whole sorry saga.

-OS

Guest pjblurton

Captains log... Day 85...

I got all of thier "questions" regarding a minor blip on my background check answered two weeks ago.

Was told then to expect it in 7 - 14 days.

I called today (after 14 days) and when the nice lady did her research, she said everything was approved and I should expect my permit in the mail in the next 7 - 14 days.

I'm dyin' ova here!

Captains log... Day 85...

I got all of thier "questions" regarding a minor blip on my background check answered two weeks ago.

Was told then to expect it in 7 - 14 days.

I called today (after 14 days) and when the nice lady did her research, she said everything was approved and I should expect my permit in the mail in the next 7 - 14 days....

Just unbelievable, isn't it?

Ya know, some states, you can check status online. Those are the ones that don't use DOS 2.0 any more.

I'd be amazed if ANY state takes longer than TN to issue, except for a few of the "may issue" ones, where to have to go to court or whatever.

Of course, hardly ANY process works correctly any more.

I did 5 year NRA thing, through the website addy that gives you a free multi-tool. No big deal, but that WAS part of the deal. Never having received it, called the other day: somehow, it wasn't ordered. Supposed to send me the tool and a hat for the error.

Like everything anymore, I believe it when I see it, and even then I look twice.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest eyebedam

well I've been at hart ln for 2 hours just trying to pay the 115.00. Murfreesboro rd says they can't accept applications there anymore when yesterday on the phone they said they could.

Just follow this link, it tells it all.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10848

Oh yeah, I HAD already read that, sorry. Didn't make the person/thread connection, duh.

Well, though, you have not actually received anything from DOS regarding suspending your permit, though, right?

I suppose this brings up a ticklish legal question, eh? Like, are you legal to carry if permit not suspended? Or are you expected NOT to carry on your own volition by virtue of knowledge of the OP?

(I'm afraid I haven't even stayed at a Holiday Express recently, so I certainly wouldn't offer an opinion).

- OS

Oh yeah, I HAD already read that, sorry. Didn't make the person/thread connection, duh.

Well, though, you have not actually received anything from DOS regarding suspending your permit, though, right?

I suppose this brings up a ticklish legal question, eh? Like, are you legal to carry if permit not suspended? Or are you expected NOT to carry on your own volition by virtue of knowledge of the OP?

(I'm afraid I haven't even stayed at a Holiday Express recently, so I certainly wouldn't offer an opinion).

- OS

It specifically says in the order "No guns, No Ammo". No I haven't recieved anything from DOS.

It specifically says in the order "No guns, No Ammo". No I haven't recieved anything from DOS.

Yeah, saw that in other thread.

Bummer, indeed.

Apologies for my getting this spread over two threads.

I'll shut up about it here.

- OS

Finally got good news myself. I was finger printed June 4. I called on August 1st and was told that it was mailed out on July 14th and that it would take 7-14 business days from there. That was all good and well except that August 1st was the 14th business day. I called back August 8th because it still wasn't here. I was told that I had to wait until 30 days after the mail out date before I could report it as never coming in. Today was FINALLY the 30th day and I called and spoke to a very nice woman named Linda who had me fax a letter saying I never got it in the mail. She called me back about an hour later and told me it should be here in 7-14 days. I just hope this time it's not lost in the mail again!!!

Guest eyebedam

So I got my application in on the 12th & got finger printed today the 13th with Buford so well see how long it takes till all my stuff comes back.

For everyone that doesnt know as of now the only testing centers you can do the application @ in the Mid tenn area is.

227 Murfreesboro RD in Lavargne

624 Hart Lane

6604 Centennial. I have the paperwork in front of me. Hope it helps.

Guest bkelm18

Got mine today. Paperwork and fingerprints submitted June 16th. So I guess that makes it 57 days. I called last week and they said they would mail it right out, and they did. If I didn't have such a crappy day I'd make my trip to Walmart. Its not a huge deal for me since I've had a carry permit before. It'll feel good to be able to legally carry again though.

Today was Day 46 for me. First call was about two weeks ago. Was told that 2 of the 3 background checks were complete. They were waiting on the last one.

I made my 2nd call today about 11:25 AM. Spoke to Alicia. She took my name, Driver License number, and phone number. Told me that someone would return my call.

Big surprise. No returned call.

I'm wondering if there is a best time of day to call.

Update: I did get a call back about 24 hours later from Juanita (spelling?).

Juanita's voice mail told me in no uncertain terms that they were on a 90 day cycle and not to call back until after 90 days had passed. She provided absolutely no information on whether there had been any progress.

Sigh... seems that it is all about getting somebody who will actually tell you what is going on.

I really wish there were a way to check the progress online or something. It frustrates me that some people's permits seem to get issued quickly, while others wait for no explainable reason.

Edited by Buzz
Update
Guest bkelm18
Today was Day 46 for me. First call was about two weeks ago. Was told that 2 of the 3 background checks were complete. They were waiting on the last one.

I made my 2nd call today about 11:25 AM. Spoke to Alicia. She took my name, Driver License number, and phone number. Told me that someone would return my call.

Big surprise. No returned call.

I'm wondering if there is a best time of day to call.

Update: I did get a call back about 24 hours later from Juanita (spelling?).

Juanita's voice mail told me in no uncertain terms that they were on a 90 day cycle and not to call back until after 90 days had passed. She provided absolutely no information on whether there had been any progress.

Sigh... seems that it is all about getting somebody who will actually tell you what is going on.

I really wish there were a way to check the progress online or something. It frustrates me that some people's permits seem to get issued quickly, while others wait for no explainable reason.

Just keep calling. Most of them have no clue what they are talking about when it comes to the "waiting period". The lady I submitted my paperwork to said to expect it in 5 months. The first lady I talked to on the phone said it was taking well over 90 days. Second lady I talked to on the phone issued it that day (day 58 or so). Keep callin.