Shotgun issues

Ebow1

I have a Remington 870 12 gauge with a 7 shell extended mag tube. When fully loaded with 7 shells, the last shell never wants to feed properly. I have to get my fingers in there and fiddle with it a bit. I'm thinking the problem is just he mag spring. Secondly, I have a CAI imported Chinese 12 gauge coach gun. I've noticed that the hammers never make contact with the firearm and appear to be intentionally cut so that they don't. I've looked around online and this appears to be normal for the JW-2000 and from what I can tell they still fire just fine, I just can't see how it would without the hammers actually striking. Does anybody have experience with these to clarify on these issues?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check also that the shell follower isn't catching on a bent/oblong magazine tube near the receiver side either. If the follower is dragging then it could prevent the shell from being pushed into the receiver.

Isn't likely, but you will want to check.....just take out the spring and make sure the follower slides from one end to the other without stopping.

It is more likely to be that the spring simply just doesn't have enough uumph after adding the extension.

Guest GunTroll

On your second issue...

I'd bet they do contact the firing pin when they are released from the sear after your booger picker pulls the trigger. I'd say the forward momentum of the hammer(s) after the load is removed from the spring carries the hammer to the pin.

To see..get the barrels off and dry fire the receiver with your finger over the firing pin hole(s). You might get a piercing sensation if you have some strong springs in that baby.

1st issue-I'll look into that.

2nd issue-Yeah, I felt a little prick, and for once it wasn't my own! I'm convinced it'll fire, but I'll still take 'em both out tomorrow morning just to get to shoot em.

When adding a mag extention to a Rem. 870, there are "dimples" inside the mag tube that must be removed. If the mag extention is factory installed the dimples should already be removed. You might check to see if there is a remnant of a dimple that a shell or shell follower may be hanging on as the spring tension is eased as the mag is emptied. I went thru this when adding an extention to my 870.

Edited by styx
Guest Broomhead

Also, do you have the barrel/mag tube clamp on you 870? If you do, the try loosening it a tad. If I over tighten mine then the follower doesn't want to move freely.

I played with one of those Chinese hammer shotties. It only looks like they don't hit the firing pins, as they spring back immediately after contact.

Obviously, if they're firing the shells, they are touching. It's not like horseshoes, "close" doesn't dent a primer.

- OS

Guest Broomhead
I guess these extensions come with a longer or stronger spring?

- OS

Longer for sure. Not sure about strength, though. Logically, having more spring crammed inside the tube would make it stronger. The only problems I've had with it are tightening the barrel/mag tube clamp too much, making the follower get hung up, and I can only fit 7+1 (7.5+1) - 2 3/4" shells in it, I had figured an 8 shot extension would put 8 shells in the mag tube plus 1 in the chamber..