What's a good holster for the KelTec P3AT?

Guest Engloid

Guest Engloid

I have the Uncle Mike's, but I'm not all that crazy about it. It just feels like it's going to let the gun pop out the top, or come unclipped from my belt. With it being a plastic clip, it doesn't feelvery secure.

The first time I used it, I put it in the middle of my back and went motorcycle riding. When I got home, I had no mag in the gun.

I would rather have something that's IWB, but OWB might work, as long as it held the gun up high enough that a tshirt would cover it.

I tried the Fobus, and it just didn't feel like the gun was secure in the holster. It made me more nervous than the Mikes IWB does, because even with it in my hand (not clipped on my waist), it doesn't feel secure. If it had more of a click when it went in, I'd feel better, but it just feels like it's wedged in and some vibration would break it loose.

What would you guys suggest? I like having a small gun for summertime carry, but unless I can find a good holster, I'll be considering another gun, which would likely be bigger. It just seems that there's not much quality stuff available for the P3AT.

Edited by Engloid
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TNDixieGirl

Do you ever carry it in your pocket, or always on the waistband? I found a few groups talking about pocket style holsters, but none mentioned waistband type.

Guest DrBoomBoom

Engloid,

If you decide on a pocket holster, I've got a few for different guns, the best I've got is the Mika pocket holster. Robert Mika's an ex-LEO who makes holsters. I don't work for him, I don't even know him. You can find his website under a search for Mika Holsters.

Guest Engloid

I sent an email to Aholsters, asking if they had any guarantee. I don't want to have tons of holsters. If I don't like it, I'd want to return it.

Do you ever carry it in your pocket, or always on the waistband? I found a few groups talking about pocket style holsters, but none mentioned waistband type.

I sometimes carry the Mike's IWB clipped onto my pocket, but it sure makes getting money or keys out without revealing the gun difficult. I only carry that way at times for lack of a better way.

Guest Engloid
I carry my KelTec in a Uncle Mikes pocket holster. Very secure and easy to draw from. You forget it's in your pocket after a while.

Every time I sit down, I notice it's there. Maybe some of you guys are bigger than I am, but unless I have the gun in the bottom of my pocket, it makes sitting uncomfortable. I at least have to reposition it when I sit down.

Guest rockytop

Desantis makes an excellent pocket holster for the Keltecs. It's called the "Nemesis". It comes in a couple of sizes (you want the small), and it has a "rubbery/sticky" texture finish on the outside to hold it securely in the pocket. It's also very reasonably priced. I believe less than $20.00.

Guest Engloid

I really don't want to carry in my pocket, no matter how small it is. Even if it was safe to carry without a holster in my pocket, the gun's too big for me to CONSISTENTLY carry in my pocket. Every now and then is ok, and the Mikes IWB works fine for that...but I want something for everyday, all day carry. I want something that will hold either inside or outside my waistband.

With very few exceptions, I carry mine in a Don Hume back pocket holster. On a few occasions, it goes into a Hume IWB holster and on very rare occasions (like the beach) into a Thunderwear holster.

If I carry except for a BUG or casual carry, I go to a heftier caliber.

Have you thought about an ankle rig? The P3At is small enough it should ride there pretty well...shouldn't get in the way riding, and I would think it would be an easy draw (if needed) on a motorcycle

I normally don't care for ankle carry, but for motor cycle carry, that make a lot of sense.

Guest DrBoomBoom

I have two Don Hume JIT holsters, outside the waistband. One holds my K frame Smiths, the other holds my Beretta Tomcat, a small .32 autoloader. They are inexpensive, comfortable, and have never felt like they were too loose for the gun.

They are inexpensive, comfortable, and have never felt like they were too loose for the gun.

I agree. I carry my USP 40 OWB in a Hume without a thumb break. It's not too loose. If I was chasing down BG's I'd want something more secure.

BTW, my P7M8 goes IWB in a Hume.

Over the years, I've just migrated toward their holsters.

Guest Engloid

An ankle holster wouldn't work very well, with chicken legs. I can't hardly get socks to stay up on my legs.

I want something that the gun snaps into, not just like you're wedging it into there and it tightens as you push down harder.

The JIT's.. where do they go on your body? Maybe it's the anachronym that I don't know.

Maybe what I need is something that is leather and has two slots for the belt to go through, and is OWB...as long as the gun was up high enough to hide with a T shirt. I also thought about one of these: http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/_Sky_High/_sky_high.html

However, it doesn't appear to be available for the P3AT.

I'd go for a thumb break, if that's what I have to do to feel that the gun isn't going to come out on its own.