Car Battery Recommendations?

Just discovered my daily driver needs a new battery.

Sat idle for 4 days, still has juice, just not enough to turn it over.

Currently it has an Interstate, installed 10/2021, got 113k miles of use.

Vehicle is a 2012 Mercedes GLK350; does not require a "specialty" battery and is a DIY project.

Thanks for the help!

Just replaced a Honda under warranty. This is the 3rd since new in 2016. My 2011 Toyota just went through a new battery and alternator last summer. Stayed with the Toyota for the warranty. I think it’s 8 years. If either of those kick out again I’m going Optima Yellow Top. 

• Thanks 1

I've had decent luck with the Autozone gold batteries. The cold snap killed the one in my car, but I got a free replacement under warranty. 

Look for one that allows you to check/add water. Some are "maintenance free" and don't last as long. 

• Thanks 1

There are only 3 or 4 companies that make automotive batteries and they supply everybody. Just about all parts store batteries are the same. Just be sure to buy the best they have. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

I just replaced the top-of-the-line Autozone battery in my truck.  It lasted five years.  That’s about as long as I’ve gotten out of a battery.  I write the purchase date on the top with a silver sharpie. 

Edited by deerslayer
  • Thanks 1

I don't think any of them are great. I have an Optima Red in my truck now. If I run the radio for 5 minutes, or the dome light stays on for 30 minutes without the engine running, the truck won't start. The battery is 3 years old. 

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

There are only 3 or 4 companies that make automotive batteries and they supply everybody. Just about all parts store batteries are the same. Just be sure to buy the best they have. 😉

This. Last I checked, it was down to like 2 main companies. Get the highest "grade" available from any brand it should be pretty much the same as everyone else's.

The last amazing batteries came from Panasonic in some Japanese cars in the 90s and early 00s. My Miata ran the original battery for  18 years and that's a very common thing in the Miata world. Sadly Panasonic doesn't make them any longer and is a shell of its former self. Aftermarket replacements last 3-5 years like all the others. I have a Duracell from Batteries Plus in it now and that's been good for 5 years so far. I keep it on a Battery Tender when I'm not driving the car much. I think that really helps.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Thanks 1

I have went Autozone the last few batteries. There top of the line seem to last beyond the guarantee and they install them while you wait and save me the trouble.

• Like 1

I’ve bought the last several batteries I’ve needed for different vehicles and my tractor at Pull- a- Part. They have them up front and I usually find one with a date sticker on less than a year old. 

• Like 1

Going to replace the batteries in my truck. It has 2. The ones in it now are 5 years old and we travel to out of the way places so I don't want any battery trouble, if I can help it. Been running O Riley's batteries because I can get a large discount on them. Son in law has an account and I get them wholesale. 

• Like 1