Browning Buckmark Camper review.

Guest Xring04

Guest Xring04

After many years of being a Ruger MKII shooter and advocate, I purchased a Buckmark. It was on sale last December for $269, and I could not say no.

After having it a few months and running a couple of thousand rounds through it, I am ready for a review.

Simply put, I think this is the best bang for your buck .22lr out there.

My Buckmark has been every bit as reliable as my Rugers. I've had no malfunctions other than a few ftfs due to bulk ammo. Accuracy seems to be great. The trigger has worn in to a very nice smooth pull. The adjustable sights, are nice, and with a bit of orange paint on the front sight, are very easy to use.

My only complaints are few and minor.

The finish on the camper is where Browning saved money on this gun and it shows. It seems to be durable and wears well, but it is not as nice as the bluing on the base MK series Rugers.

It is harder to find accessories such as grips for the Buckmark, especially for the camper model. The grips that come on the camper are quite functional, however, they are plain rubber.

Other than those minor complaints, the Buckmark is a great .22 pistol.

Pics from today's shooting.

Target was shot at 10 yards, 24 rounds.

IMG_4424.jpg

IMG_4426.jpg

IMG_4425.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review! That model is on my list to get someday. For mods, you might want to poke around RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community! and check out some of the parts made by 'rusty22'. Here's a thread showing off his adapter plates that allow you to use 1911 grips:

1911 Grip Adapter Plates

He also makes a BMT (Buckmark Tool) that people seem to like.

ETA: Here's another great mod thread.

Guest MERRILL

I too have a Browning Buckmark and love it. I did have a Ruger 22/45 and it also is a good gun but fussy about what it eats. I preferred the sights on the Ruger, but overall I like the Buckmark a bit better.

PS. good shooting Xring.

Edited by MERRILL
Guest motonut

Yes, the "trigger spring flip" is an outstanding mod.

Love the BuckMark, fun gun to shoot. Also get "Rusty22's" (??) BMT (BuckMark Maint. Tool), you won't regret it.

Guest tnharley

I just purchased one last Saturday. I got the Buckmark Camper with the stainless barrel at the local Sportsmans Warehouse. When to the shooting range yesterday and ran about 150 rounds through it without a single issue. Accuracy at 14 yards was well within a 3 inch grouping, even with me just getting used to the gun. Noticed in the owners manual that Browning discourages disassembly for cleaning, but rather use of a small brush in the firing/breach area and use of a boresnake for the barrel. It seemed to work ok when I cleaned it today, but noticed that in the user manual from a couple of years ago, they included a more elaborate disassemby of the slide and barrel for cleaning. I guess they had too many people messing something up and sending them in for warranty service. Just curious your cleaning method.