XD-subcompact: 9mm or .40

Guest Joshua8200

Bigger is better, but cheaper is nice too. I decided to go with a 9mm for my first handgun for many reasons. I figured that with JHP 124 or 147gr the 9mm is plenty potent. I also knew that I would need to be able to practice affordably.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Oaklands
Bigger is better, but cheaper is nice too. I decided to go with a 9mm for my first handgun for many reasons. I figured that with JHP 124 or 147gr the 9mm is plenty potent. I also knew that I would need to be able to practice affordably.

You will be happy with your decision. I had mine at the range yesterday. Put the target out 7 yards, and decided to try some free hand precision shooting and made a group about 1.5". Excellent guns for the money.

Guest XD9GUY

I've had my XD9SC for about a year now and I still like it. My main reason for getting the 9mm over the .40 is the fact that I like to shoot. the 9mm is a WHOLE lot cheaper to shoot than the .40. The 16 round mag feels like a full size gun. The 13 round mag although shorter in the grip, is comfortable and still lets you have plenty of ammo. It is not uncomfortable to carry either.

Guest friesepferd

lol. I think this whole "stopping power is a myth" thing has gotten out of control on this thread.

There are many studies indicating that a 9 is no better or worse than a 40 or 45 for self defense.

And what most people mean by this statement, is that "stopping power" is kind of a silly word to use.

In some cases, a 22 will stop somebody dead in their tracks. In other cases, you can shoot someone with a 50 cal and they will still have the ability to "keep going" (such as pulling the trigger of their own gun). Its just not as simple as calculating some magical "stopping power".

The point of using a handgun in self defense is to keep someone from doing harm to you. Its different in every situation.

In my opinion, yes, bigger is better, but its also not the only consideration. Bigger is better given that you have the same control over the gun, the same accuracy, the same round count, and you practice the same with it.

Guest HvyMtl

It seems the magazines AND the stopping power has got out of hand.

Boils down to this: What caliber are you most effective with? Which caliber can you quickly acquire the target, aim, shoot, and get a controlled follow up shot? Remember: A hit with a .22 beats a miss with a .357.

I went with .45 after shooting 9mm, 10mm, .357, 38, and 40. Why? I liked the recoil, the bullets' mass, and the quickness I could reacquire and shoot again. Now that I have shot, and shot well, with the .45, shooting a 9 is almost too easy. It is to the point where I now have to think this: I am good with a 45, and can get a quick follow up shot. But, with a 9, I can probably get close to 3 shots off within the same time it takes me to shoot the 45 twice.

(yes, I recommend practicing with a heavier caliber, to get you settled in better with a smaller caliber, seems to have worked for me.)

Personally, I would go with a 45. or .357 - I know those 2 are not on the table. So. Go with the 9. The 40 is snappy. And a very hard snap. For me, it was slower to get the follow up shot off than with a 45, and .357. The 40 costs around the same as 45 ammo. So go 9 and get more follow up shots, faster and better aimed.