2 x Ruger 22/45s

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest friesepferd
Hey Craig , are the round things the slide-lock levers, in the place that they are on most semi-autos? Just wondering . I am more familiar with the MK's .

They are good looking dolls !

yes, the forward end round things are the slide-lock levers. post all ruger mk whatevers have them that way. at least all the the ones i have seen do.

The reason I like fooling with these Rugers is that I think they are right at the crossroads where more money in a .22 pistol gun gets you diminishing returns. That is unless you make that quantum leap into bullesye pistol land, where my lack of training and discipline would leave me paper punching little better than with my revved up Rugers.

In both the Ruger MKIIIs pictured:

1. Removed the mag disconnect apparatus and installed MKII bushings.

2. Installed after market trigger bar plunger springs.

3. Installed VQ pre and over travel triggers.

4. Installed VQ sears.

In the black one I also installed a MKII Volqaurtsen hammer.

And yes, MKIIIs have the button style of bolt catch/release rather than the lever. I like the button style better than the MKIIs lever from my own aesthetic point of view. I also like the 1911-like mag release on MKIIIs rather the "euro-style" grip heel release found on earlier models. On the other hand I'm not a fan of the "flat" plastic design of the MKIII 22/45 or the internal mag disconnect - but I generally like plastic framed guns due to weight and balance issues that personally appeal to me. Once again a gun manufacturer failed to consult me on pistol design in relation to the MKIII 22/45 frame.

Like all mass production you give a little to get quite a bit. When you stumble on good deal for a MKIII 22/45 getting some aftermarket stuff to jazz it up is personally cost effective. I do get a very big kick out of handing over a pedestrian looking gun at the range, then hearing the shooter exclaim, "Wow!"

When you stumble on good deal for a MKIII 22/45 getting some aftermarket stuff to jazz it up is personally cost effective. I do get a very big kick out of handing over a pedestrian looking gun at the range, then hearing the shooter exclaim, "Wow!"

my not-so-cost-effective aftermarketed mkIII. Still gets a few "wow!"s though.

016.jpg

One of these days I'll get around to adding one of these and making it my space gun :D:

DocterRDS35moa.jpg

That'll be real cost effective :shrug:

As you can see I added the Pac-Lite 4.5" threaded upper with rail and their compensator. The annoying mag-disconnect is gone. I've also installed a Wolff Reduced Power Trigger Spring, Wolff Firing Pin String, VQ Target Sear and the Clark MKII Hammer Bushing.

A few things I have but havent installed: Wolff Extra Power Recoil Spring, Wolff Reduced Power Hammer Spring, VQ Exact Edge Extractor, and a Clark Match Steel Trigger (matte black).

It's just about the most fun you're allowed to have at the range. I wish I had a small kitchen scale to weigh it. It's insanely light but with the compensator on you hardly notice any muzzle rise. I have no way to measure the trigger pull either but it is probably around 2lbs. The reduced power trigger return spring does give a slightly mushy feel to the pull, but all MkIII's have mushy triggers in my experience. Maybe it could be eliminated with a thorough clean, polish and the Clark Match trigger installed (which would also take care of the pre travel).

These 22/45s are great and fun to work on, even though I occasionally find myself scratching my head when I'm putting it all back together. Graycait, if you weren't an hour and a half away I'd love to compare.

I always wanted to try a Paclite but haven't gotten around to it. I have 4 aluminum framed S&W 422s and they are about as light as you can get in a fairly accurate plinker without having a Paclite on a 22/45. I have 3 MKIIIs now, all in different barrel lengths. I have the "I wants" pretty bad for the new Nighthawk .22 1911 conversion designed by Bob Marvel (not to be confused with Marvel Precision's Units 1 or 2). 22 Conversion Units Nighthawk Tactical I've had several Glock Advantage Arms conversions, but could not really warm up to that conversion. I think the Nighthawk conversion is similar or based off the AA 1911 conversion as Marvel was working with AA a couple of years ago.